Thread: Aboriginals were as primal as it gets.... page

btownshreds is offline Senior Member

Aboriginals were as primal as it gets....

Shop Now
    And every where I research about them I find stuff like this:

"Repercussions
    Australian Aborigines now suffer high rates of heart disease, obesity, diabetes and other chronic illnesses, largely as a result of dietary changes and decreased physical activity. The Victoria website relates that they are also developing high blood pressure and having strokes partly because of dietary influences."

Source:Aboriginal Diet & Nutrition | LIVESTRONG.COM

Now before you call this faulty research, please forgive me. I am new and learning. But 9/10ths of everything I looked about about these fellow's came back bad.
    Big brains discuss ideas
    Average brains discuss events
    Small brains discuss people...
    -Eleanore Roosevelt

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    I don't really understand your question. It looks like they started eating processed foods and that led to health problems. Isn't that kind of what this site is based on? That the western diet is very bad for you?

It says that they were healthy until the Europeans came and they started eating more like Europeans.

Dont vast majorities of european countries have lower heart disease rates and the whole shabang?
    Big brains discuss ideas
    -Eleanore Roosevelt

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    I replied in your other thread about why their health has declined.
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

Appreciate all that you wrote in it. My question is, is it even said "Their original diet" was high in fat which caused heart disease. Obviously thats CW but stilll. Im just researching please forgive me to anyone who finds this annoying.
    Big brains discuss ideas
    -Eleanore Roosevelt

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure where you read their original diet was high in fat? Sure they chose the fattiest animal they could but traditional food sources such as kangaroo are very lean.

As far as I am aware their original diet was considered varied and healthy even by today's standards and it enabled them to live long healthy lives. I stand to be corrected if you have research to the contrary though.
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    I can only see where it says their traditional diet was low in fat. I'm still not sure what you're getting at but am just going to throw in that the fat some cultures/people consume in their meat, eggs and dairy (for example) is entirely different to the fats other cultures consume in fast food, and has a different impact on the body.

There's a bit about the Aboriginal diet and the effect of the introduction of 'modern' foods in Weston Price's book, if you're interested.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    Theres not much low fat about emu...and they were a regular. As for kangaroos, the prized cut is the tail which is quite fatty. Also plenty of fat in snakes, goanna and witchery grubs.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos View Post
    Theres not much low fat about emu...and they were a regular. As for kangaroos, the prized cut is the tail which is quite fatty. Also plenty of fat in snakes, goanna and witchery grubs.
    Eating a kangaroo tail just sounds messed up to me. That's like eating bunny brains with my understanding of the animal.

I'm sure if I was put in a primal situation, I'd have a spear in my hand. I'm just saying...

MvEssen is offline Senior Member
    The modern diets of many Aborigines strongly reflects European influences. Accessibility of low-cost processed foods combined with a lack of educational resources and fewer opportunities to forage has caused many to adopt a diet high in calories, saturated fat, sodium, flour and concentrated sweets,

Read more: Aboriginal Diet & Nutrition | LIVESTRONG.COM
    Australian Aborigines now suffer high rates of heart disease, obesity, diabetes and other chronic illnesses, largely as a result of dietary changes and decreased physical activity. The Victoria website relates that they are also developing high blood pressure and having strokes partly because of dietary influences.

Read more: Aboriginal Diet & Nutrition | LIVESTRONG.COM
    Conclusion: They changed their diet from primal to processed food with flour and lots of sweets.

I'm from Europe (The Netherlands) and yes this is a pretty good description of the diet here. Yes, we do eat more saturated fat than Americans in general and yes our heart disease is lower.

What do we get from this info? Two facts. 1) People from The Netherlands eat more saturated fat and have less heart disease and obesity. 2) Aborigionals had little obesity and heart disease by eating primal, untill they added processed foods, flour and sweet in there diet. This caused decreased health.

Conclusions: saturated fat on itself slightly reduces the damage from processed foods with lots of flour and sugar (probably because of a healthy huan cel membrane). Not eating sugar and flour improves your health even more. It's right there in the info you're researching.