Thread: Genetics.... page

primalnurse is offline Junior Member

Genetics....

Primal Fuel
    New to Primal living but have studied and searched for ways to have a healthy, high quality life.
    What Mark is teaching makes sense, we are created for this type of eating and living. My struggle is genes. I have type II diabetes and hyperlipidemia. My blood pressure is now great due to eating more raw veggies/foods (had previously been on BP meds for 10 yrs). Any recommendations for beating this hyperlipidemia naturally - I really don't want to take meds but my cholesterol is 288 with my LDL 197, HDL is good at 65. My doc is worried I'm going to stroke or have a heart attack. I don't smoke, weight is decent with BMI in good range. Appreciate any helpful suggestions. Anyone else making any progress with these type of challenges??

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    My total cholesterol is 292 and HDL at 79, trigs at 70, and LDL 193. My LDL is Pattern A and my ratios are all good so I am not worried about my numbers.

Get a VAP and make sure that your LDL is right and that it is Pattern A. Check your ratios from the VAP and if they are all good I wouldn't worry about it. Another good indicator is an HS-CRP that shows inflammation. Cholesterol doesn't cause heart disease, inflammation and oxidation cause heart disease.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have not undergone any tests, but I'm pretty certain that my triglycerides will have fallen greatly since my last test. That's what Dr. Mike says on his Protein Power blog, that on a low carb paleo diet your triglycerides drop like a rock and your ratio of LDL to HDL improves. I realize that I am insulin resistant, but that's not something a doctor will notice. I know as long as I keep my carbs low most of the time, that the insulin resistance is greatly alleviated. I feel amazingly great, too, and have lost about 20lbs, maybe more, while eating things that would otherwise be alarming, like chunks of butter on every bite of a big steak.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 215 x 3