Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal/Paleo and ADHD? page

PookDo is offline Senior Member

Primal/Paleo and ADHD?

Does anyone have any solid findings of how a primal/paleo diet effects those with ADD/ADHD?

dado Guest
    add is a racket.

no one has add when they are doing something they enjoy.

HTownGirl is offline Senior Member
    I think ADD/ADHD is very real. However, I also thing there is nothing wrong with you if you have it, except that it is difficult sometimes in our society. It's just a difference in how individual brains work.

Having said that, my ADD seems to be improving as I age. Maybe it's just that I have developed coping mechanisms over time, or perhaps it is because I'm now primal. I haven't really considered the timeline, honestly. Yes, people with ADD/ADHD can become hyper-focused on certain things, particularly activities that you enjoy, but to say it isn't real is easy to say if you aren't ADD.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Mine has gotten a little better with age, but much better with eating Primal. I find it much easier to focus, and I'm more in control of my emotions, though definitely not perfect (impulse control often sucks for people with ADHD).

I'm not sure if it's removing gluten or the increase in nutrients or what, just that it does seem to make a difference. I think Primal Body, Primal Mind has a lot of info on it if I remember correctly.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    add is a racket.

no one has add when they are doing something they enjoy.
    Admit it, dado. You're just jealous because you don't have it.

Sketcha is offline Member
    lol Dado's post has nothing to do with the question in this thread. I have been looking for some actual medical research online.

Studies have shown that children with ADHD show improvement when on an 'elimination diet' [Effects of a restricted elimination diet on the behaviour of children with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (INCA study): a randomised controlled trial : The Lancet]

The diet these children were on included rice, but other studies have shown that the less additives and artificial crap that kids eat, the less severe their ADD.
    This blog is easier to read, but isn't conclusive:
    Evolutionary Psychiatry: Food Elimination Diet and ADHD

I just started the 21 day transformation, and I'm planning to go off meds in a few months (whenever I get pregnant). I'm 33, and my father is a medical research doctor, so when I say I have ADHD, it's not because I think it sounds cool. My brain is much more functional when I eat a high fat diet (vs a low fat diet). The more omega 3's I have the better my memory is, so even though I get distracted constantly, its easier for me to remember what I was thinking about before I got distracted, and maintain focus.

wiltondeportes Guest
    If I was to venture a guess, I would say instead of focusing on the nutrition aspect of the "Primal Blueprint", focus on the lifestyle aspect. We did not adapt to use computers and sit inside all day. We also adapted different socially, but I'm not sure how big the social aspect is to ADD.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 12-14-2011 at 11:05 PM.

NavyWife is offline Junior Member
    Not only do the increased fats and proteins seem to help with ADHD, but getting rid of all the nasty additives, preservatives, artificial junk, that goes hand in hand with primal/paleo. My ADHD kid had decent success with Feingold, and this is just taking it a step further, IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by NavyWife View Post
    Not only do the increased fats and proteins seem to help with ADHD, but getting rid of all the nasty additives, preservatives, artificial junk, that goes hand in hand with primal/paleo. My ADHD kid had decent success with Feingold, and this is just taking it a step further, IMO!
    I know my kids reacted pretty badly to food coloring, back in the day when I thought Froot Loops and Fruity Pebbles were real food. As an adult, I found that certain colors gave me heartburn, so they definitely have an impact.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    If I was to venture a guess, I would say instead of focusing on the nutrition aspect of the "Primal Blueprint", focus on the lifestyle aspect. We did not adapt to use computers and sit inside all day. We also adapted different socially, but I'm not sure how big the social aspect is to ADD.
    I think environment is important, but not the sole "cause" for these kinds of disorders. The teaching style in the average public classroom is not the "cause" of my ADD-like problems, but it certainly doesn't help.

I was diagnosed with "executive functioning disorder". It is noticeable in the same way that ADD is, with low focus, ease of distractability, and poor short term memory. Going primal helped a bit, but I believe I am dealing with some nutritional deficits and supplementing has helped me the most. I take L-Tyrosine to manage focus & anxiety, 5-HTP for depression, and GABA Calm for high anxiety episodes.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast