Thread: Meat page

allie Guest

Primal Fuel

Do you generally consume lean meats, or fattier cuts of meat?

While I enjoy chicken wings or pork belly on occassion, I find that I gravitate to lean... not out of fat-phobia, but out of personal preference. I love baked chicken breasts with lemon juice on top, or shredded and added to soup. I also love turkey breast and pork loin chops. I know other people find them a little bland, but I've always fared better on these kinds of meats. I find them fresh and energizing, whereas if I overindulge in fattier cuts I feel heavy and a little drowsy.

In regards to steak (beef) and lamb - I like the meat, but usually leave the fat behind as I don't really like it. It's too chewy and I don't like the taste. I know, I'm weird. =/

deepthought is offline Junior Member

It seems I favor the fattier meats. Fatty ground beef is my favourite(and also the favourite of my wallet). When I buy chicken I go for the whole legs. I NEVER leave fat on the plate...

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Both. I love game meats, which tend to be very lean (with the exception of raccoon.)

When it comes to farmed meat, especially boar, I tend towards the fattier cuts.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

A high quality, fatty ribeye is AWESOME. Next comes a lot of fatty bacon. Then comes chicken skin and its dark meat. Lean is only good when spread over a giant salad, or when it's marinated/slow-cooked in some special sauce. Otherwise... I want it all!

I will agree that eating too much fat in one sitting will make me feel pretty drowsy. I've been trying to generally eat less at meals to prevent that from happening, which is working pretty nicely.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Ooh I do not like chicken breast, unless it's either mixed in a salad (where I still prefer whole shredded chicken anyway), or mixed into a "chicken salad" with mayo/celery/nuts/etc.

I do love the legs and thighs with skin though, and wings.

Jess already listed my favorite steak, Ribeye!! Yum. I like to spread the fattier bits out so that I can have a little fat with each bite that's just meat as well

I've never done a good job cooking pork tenderloin, and I've neer had it anywhere else that I particularily liked it either, so I tend to stay away from it. Without eating grains or processed foods, I'd never eat more than 1,000 calories without eating fatty cuts of meat! Veggies and lean meats just aren't substantial enough for me, and while I cook with fat all the time, it's still not as good as just eating the chicken skin or beef fat...or bacon

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

London Mike is offline Junior Member

I may be mistaken but I seem to remember reading a really old blog of Mark’s where he was discussing his stance on fat consumption. The conclusion was that he was switching from advising to trim excess fat to eating it because his followers now ‘got it’ that he always talks about grass fed meat and not CAFO. I may be wrong. Mark, forum stalwarts, anyone smarter than me, please correct me if I’m wrong

Some people like Art De Vany say to trim excess fat as the animals we would have eaten in the Palaeolithic would have been lean compared to animals today. Others say that toxins are stored in excess fat so by eating it your consuming ‘lots’ of unnecessary toxins.

I reckon that if you naturally gravitate towards lean meat and this satiates you and keeps you energised then there is no problem whatsoever. Carry on as you are.

Personally, I've never left a bit of fat on my plate in my life! Steak fat? Yum! Pork chop fat? Yum! Salmon skin hand roll? Yum yum yum! Slightly crispy chicken skin? Yum yum yum yum yum yum yum..... gimme gimme gimme!

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member

I personally don't like the fatty meats, with the exception of bacon. I've never been a huge fan of pork, & honestly, when it comes to beef, I'd rather just have a nice medium-rare steak. Chicken & turkey breast, fish, perhaps a bit of ham or proscuttio... that's pretty much my life. I do like nearly every kind of fish though, so there's plenty of room for variety.

I don't see myself ever reaching for any of the fattier meats that everyone else around here seems to eat, though. Thank god for coconut oil & butter; else I don't know where I'd get my fats from!

And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Depends on what's available. If I get a fatty piece of meat I eat up all the fatty bits. If boneless skinless chicken is on sale, then I stick it in a curry with lots of coconut creme concentrate.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I can't cope with fat that's separate from the meat, however often I try!

Crispy chicken skin, bacon, things cooked in fat are yummy though!

Caveman Sam Guest

Made some pork chops a few nights ago and the Cavebrother couldn't stomach the hunk of pig fat from his chop. I ate it for him. I'm a good brother.