Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About improving posture page

Shop Now

Hey,

I suppose there is no primer on improving posture? I know there is an article on what actually is a good posture but I'd like to know more about how to specifically improve my posture.

What are all the factors affecting posture? What kind of exercises I could do to improve those factors? Any personal tips or just link to a decent guide would be appreciated.

Tarlach is offline Member

To follow on from the primer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yYJ4hEYudE

You just have to be diligent. It takes a lot of time to retrain yourself out of decades of bad posture.

Strength training your back muscles will also help.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

C Guest

Alexander Technique works wonders. It doesn't have to take ages and you don't have to do it by yourself. If your posture is bad how do you know when you have a good posture? You could just be cultivating a new bad habit.

Shine is offline Member

Both yoga and pilates can help to improve posture by strengthening the core and making you more aware of how you are holding your body throughout the day. For me, the biggest impediment to good posture is remembering not to slouch, and I find that regular practice of either discipline reminds me to sit or stand correctly.

mhoward is offline Member

My two cents

1. lookup 'esther gokhale' as referenced by mark. there is a youtube video of her, somewhere, talking to google employees. it is very good.

2. deadlift once a week. be sure to bend the knees, keep the back straight, etc. don't do a rounded back deadlift. also, work into it gradually, as it will make your hamstrings VERY sore if you overdo it the first time.

put the two together and BAM, you have good posture. My wife commented the other day that i seem taller.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/improve-posture/

She seems to have a different take on pelvis position, one that I actually find more comfortable...but then am I just stuck on a bad postural rut??

Scrogs is offline Junior Member
    I used to be a Massage Therapist and in Canada an MT is trained in postural assessment, but despite all the theory and attempts to correct my own postural imbalances never succeeded until I started using kettlebells for strength training. There are some interesting studies re: kettlebells and correcting muscular imbalances (upper/lower cross syndromes) that you could probably find on the internet.

I had previously done many other activities such as yoga, martial arts, strength training, pilates, etc. but none of those compared to the benefits I've reaped with kettlebells.
    Last edited by Scrogs; 04-17-2010 at 11:09 AM.

try http://www.tmuscle.com/ALSAuthor.do?...pager&pageNo=3
    There are a number of articles by Mike and they're pretty obvious by the titles; really useful!

Scrogs is offline Junior Member

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the link Paleo Butterfly Boy - excellent resource!
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast