Thread: strange knee (sorta) ache page

adamm is offline Senior Member

strange knee (sorta) ache

So ever since beginning Starting Strength (a couple of months ago), I've developed a strange ache in my left leg. It actually isn't the knee (despite the title of the thread), but I don't think I had enough room to describe it.

If you imagine your left knee, on the left (outside) of it, to the back, there is some sort of tendon/ligament. That is why tends to ache for me. More in the morning when I get up, but sometimes a wee bit later in the day.

Now none of this is bad pain. At all - in fact it is just barely noticeable. I'm concerned that it may be something that is progressive, though.

Now, strangely enough, when doing squats and deadlifts I don't feel any stress on that area, and after exercising my knee generally feels great for the whole day (and night).

Advice?

--Me

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Can you post a video of your deadlift and squat from the front and back?

johnbu1981 is offline Junior Member
    Most likely arthritis or a meniscus issue. Meniscus is easily repaired via arthroscopy; arthritis is a bit more complicated.

How old are you

adamm is offline Senior Member
    I doubt it is arthritis, as I'm 35, have no joint issues at all (nor have I ever had), feel great. Just have a nagging faint ache in that one area and it only started when I began Starting Strength.

Sadly I don't have any videos. Today, during my lifting (which I do 2 to 3 times a weeks) I began to guess that it could be deadlift, as that is a lot of stress. But again, now that I'm done exercising, my knee feels great. No problems at all. Until tomorrow or Friday, of course. And even then it doesn't really hurt.

--Me

johnbu1981 is offline Junior Member
    Arthritis can be localized to a specific area in the knee. The only way you can find out if something is wrong is if you go in for a MRI.

There is a 99% chance you have some sort of arthritis or meniscal injury.

dado Guest
    i had a similar pain in my knee after spraining my ankle in rec league. i scored 4 points that game.

but it went away. i let it rest for a few weeks and when i started squatting again i used one of those compression sleeves for the knee. i squatted with this for a few weeks, and now i don't use the brace anymore.

you will be all right.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    I doubt it is arthritis, as I'm 35, have no joint issues at all (nor have I ever had), feel great. Just have a nagging faint ache in that one area and it only started when I began Starting Strength.

Sadly I don't have any videos. Today, during my lifting (which I do 2 to 3 times a weeks) I began to guess that it could be deadlift, as that is a lot of stress. But again, now that I'm done exercising, my knee feels great. No problems at all. Until tomorrow or Friday, of course. And even then it doesn't really hurt.

--Me
    Any chance of going to the effort to record some videos?