Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative for spinting outside during dark and snowy winter? page

Jur01or0 is offline Junior Member

Alternative for spinting outside during dark and snowy winter?

Primal Fuel
    Hi!

I live in Sweden where it very cold, snowy and dark during four winter months a year. For about 1,5 months the sun doesn´t even come over the horizon (yes, no sun at all). When is is minus 30 degres spriting outside is not really anything nice.

So I am looking for tips about what I exercises I can do inside at home in my apartment instead of sprinting outside?
    Should I try someting with a jumprope or jump up and dowm a chair?

(I do not have a gym membership or any long staircase)
    I am 31yrs old male, rather used to excercise and fairly fit.

Any advice or tips are very wellcome!

Best Regards from Sweden!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Tuck jumps, my friend.

Very easy and will dust you fairly soon.

Start off in a low squat, jump up explosively and bring your knees to your chest, upon landing, absorb the impact by going into another low squat and immediately jump again. Do as many as you can for as many sets as you like. These are pretty demanding, and I feel it in my quads more than when I sprint so see how many you can get away with. A good starting point is 3 sets of 10 jumps.

The important part is to do these rather fast, without getting sloppy, youtube only has shit videos so I can't show you a good example unfortunately. Also, do these barefoot, so you don't land so hard (since shoes give the false sense of protection, so you feel more confident to smash down) ...

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    jump roping is great; you can really get the heartrate up. you might also consider trying to find a cheap exercise bike to to tabata style sprints.

metabolically speaking, you can do just about anything that is going to get your heart pumping up to about 90% max. i think burpees are just about the best exercise for this since they are intense and full-body. 10 sets of 10 with about a minute of rest between sets should do you just fine...or more or less depending on your fitness level. i have also found that i can sets of lifting my sandbag off the ground and up over my head (i guess this would be a clean and press) and get the same intensity as sprints and burpees.

Yeah (sandbag) thursters will kill you too, quick. You can do these technically with anything heavy. Go gather some snow and ice in a duffle bag, Viking Fitness!!!

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Start brazilian jiu-jitsu or muy thai. You won't need to run like a coward when you can fight instead muahahahaha

Oh wait, you're a Viking. You could try those medieval sword-fighting things. Every proper Viking should know how to swing a battle axe around.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    climb stairs as fast as you can. I work on the forth floor of my building and I run the stairs everytime I go up, at least twice a day... Sometimes I will go all the way to the roof (7 floors) and walk back down to the fourth.... Gets this fat guy winded....

Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    Start brazilian jiu-jitsu or muy thai.
    Ever since starting BJJ I haven't done any other type of "sprint" rolling 2 times a week is plenty.

Same with muaythai, but I haven't done that in a few months outside a random Saturday here and there.

davidlim is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    Oh wait, you're a Viking. You could try those medieval sword-fighting things. Every proper Viking should know how to swing a battle axe around.
    lol

norak is offline Senior Member
    +1 for burpees and jumping rope.
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i dont really think there is any true alternative for actually sprinting. there are many many exercises you can do to get the same type of workout but i wouldnt call any of them sprinting. high intensity interval training would be a more true name for what you are looking for. sprinting, at least in my opinion, involves actual running, not much way around that without actually doing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast