Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative for spinting outside during dark and snowy winter? page 2

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    i dont really think there is any true alternative for actually sprinting. there are many many exercises you can do to get the same type of workout but i wouldnt call any of them sprinting. high intensity interval training would be a more true name for what you are looking for. sprinting, at least in my opinion, involves actual running, not much way around that without actually doing it.
    Running up stairs does.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    Running up stairs does.
    nah not really, but we're splitting hairs here. Running up hill and doing stairs are closely related, but the end point is still if you're not running, you can't possibly be sprinting. You can be going up the stairs really fast, it's still not sprinting.

We're using the term "sprint" or "sprinting" here to mean "getting your heart rate up" which I don't really like (I'm with Mike on this one) but who cares as long as people are putting in work, you know? I used to kick up a fuss over it too, but it's pretty stupid to argue it.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    Sprinting is an all out effort with nearly at the abandon of any form of control(you want to stay in control but right on the edge).

ALthough I simulate it on a spin bike when the snow and ice makes sprinting unsafe it does not approach the intensity of propelling your body through space to maximum speed and holding that speed until you slow down due to loss of capacity(80 to 100 yards and my velocity begins to ebb not due to effort.) Doing 6-8 of these sprints taxes my entire body. The bike sprints and burpees, can be taxing, they can really work the heart, but they are not the same intensity as " Running sprints"

I don't mind though. I am using the spin bike sprints to "rest" for a few weeks or couple of months, and if the green fields clear of snow and time be clear on a sprint day I may jump outside.

Maybe I will try pool sprints, That' at least is moving your body through space for speed, but it is hard to simulate the tesnion and explosion that running sprints give your entire body.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

wesrman is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by norak View Post
    +1 for burpees and jumping rope.
    Burpees, jump rope, shadowboxing, knee tucks, circuit training etc.

This article will give you some more ideas:
    RossTraining.com - Indoor Conditioning Options
    Character is both developed and revealed by tests, and all of life is a test.
    -Rick Warren

primalTatoolover is offline Senior Member
    do the burpees and transfer it into a tuck jump. destroys you , you add in a pushup as well. its pretty much like doing a metcon, which has the same effect as a sprint in the end.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    I'm considering getting a trainer to mount my bike on so I can work the bike indoors during the winter(my gym has stationary bikes, but I'm 6'6", so they're sized pretty horribly for me). Probably less likely to upset the neighbors than jumping around or the like indoors, since I'm in a 2nd floor apartment.

Bike intervals aren't quite as harsh as sprints, but they should do the job during the winter. Plus I gain more schedule flexibility by being able to do them in my apartment.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    I finished my bike intervals this evening a while back. Definatley winded me but my muscles are not as taxed.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

norak is offline Senior Member
    If you have access to a gym hall/aerobic hall or similar you could try doing sprints inside. You may not reach full speed, depending on the size of the room, but running as fast as you can back and fort between the walls until exhaustion is a pretty good substitute. Also, if the room is big enough, you could run around in circles, which might give you more time to build up speed.
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

PJL75 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cool, a fellow Swede!
    Where do you live, Norrland?
    I'm in Stockholm, so at least I get some light during winter.

I wonder how many Swedes are on this forum?

/Johan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12