Thread: Successful Transition from SAD and Reverting Damages page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

My father is in his mid 60's and has successfuly transitioned from a SAD-ish diet into low-carb/Primal.

He is a doctor and open-minded enough to read the evidence provided against the SAD and for Paleo. Now he is feeling much better and is (slowly) losing weight.

Throughout his life, my father developed asthma and issues with his knee as a result of the consumption of cortisone (avascular necrosis). He got a small prosthesis in the knee and he is recovering, but seems to be stuck in below 100%, which also limits his ability to work out. He still has weight to lose as well.

Although his dietary habits have changed dramatically for the good, I am trying to find some ways in which he can gradually further tweak his diet/lifestyle in order to achieve an 100% joint recovery and a healthier %BF.

He still eats some legumes and diary. The problem is that pushing for perfection might prove to be too overwhelming and thus discouraging, so the more gradual the changes, the better.

In order of priority, which changes should he start implementing in order to completely fix his knee, and in the long-term, improve his %BF?

I am particularly ignorant in what kind of exercises he could start doing with his knee (at-home, no-sophisticated-equipment kind of workouts).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Vick is offline Senior Member

Just a couple of ideas but work with him to make sure his knee is ok.

1. Lying on his side, lift the upper leg slowly, to about a 45 - 60 degree angle and hold for about 5 seconds. Then lower the leg slowly. You can then set up a series of reps based on his strength.

2. standing straight up, extend onto his "tippy toes" for 5 seconds then down. ( A calf raise) You can set up a series of reps to strengthen his calves. As he grows stronger he can hold juice cans in his hands or do a single leg calf raise.

Those should be two good ones to start with.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

thanks a lot Vick

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member

I know that my mother had some serious issues with her joints (couldn't tell you exactly what it was) a few years back and one thing that really helped her was making her own stock with leftover beef and chicken bones. She would, and still to this day does, eat soup made with the stock at least every other day.

Not sure if it's any different but she makes it in a pressure cooker at 15 psi.

maba is offline Senior Member

I agree with FF. Bone broths are, to date, recommended by old-school/non-CW doctors in India for relief from joint-pain. Here's an article from WAPF on bone broths:

http://www.westonaprice.org/Broth-is-Beautiful.html

How about water? Does he have access to a pool?

Good idea about the bone broth Maba! I'm going to read that article now.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Did he see a physical therapist? Did they give him a home program to follow?

mhoward is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

serialsinner, you are on the right track with being concerned about selecting exercises. i recently referred to crossfit around my mother. she looked at the website and started doing lunges. she developed "bicyclist's knee" or something like that within a few weeks and is following up with her doctor.

if i were to be asked by someone over a (certain age), 'what exercises should i do?' i would be fairly hesistant. i might suggest walking and swimming, some relatively lightweight squats, and leave it at that.