Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help with mayo .. AGAIN !! page

diinky1119 is offline Member

help with mayo .. AGAIN !!

Shop Now
    I have tried to make mayo 3 times .. I just dont like it!! Ive used olive oil . mac nut oil and avacado oil .. turned out like soup tonite, so no more !! Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind to buy that would be closest to healthy? I found one at whole foods that was made with flax oil . I figure im doing so well on everything else .. will it really hurt . I miss my hellmans

Paleobird Guest
    Coconut oil then refrigerate. It will set up nicely.

activia is offline Senior Member
    I've used light olive oil with good results. The key is to add the oil VERY slowly and keep mixing. I usually throw the eggs in the food processor, mix for 30 seconds, let it rest.. mix for 30 seconds while dribbling oil, rest, and repeat until all the oil is gone. Then I mix it some more, throw it in the fridge and it thickens up nice.

Bear is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diinky1119 View Post
    I have tried to make mayo 3 times .. I just dont like it!! Ive used olive oil . mac nut oil and avacado oil .. turned out like soup tonite, so no more !! Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind to buy that would be closest to healthy? I found one at whole foods that was made with flax oil . I figure im doing so well on everything else .. will it really hurt . I miss my hellmans
    Forget mayo. One day I wanted a tuna sandwich (yeah, yeah...bread is bad, I know), but we were out of mayo. So I used plain lowfat yogurt instead. Voila! It was BETTER! Threw in some chopped celery, a little chopped fresh dill, and a dash of white vinegar and fresh ground pepper...good stuff!

Skip the mayo...use yogurt wherever you used mayo before. Give it a try...

csgmoore is offline Member
    You need to use light olive oil - extra virgin makes bitter mayonnaise. I follow Julia Child's instructions. I always use a hand-held electric whisk. Put two egg yolks into a bowl. Whisk at high speed for 30 secs/1 minute. Add 1/2 teaspoon of dijon mustard, salt and pepper and a splash of lemon juice. Whisk to incorporate. Then SLOWLY drizzle in a cup of light olive oil with the whisk at high speed. You should have thick mayonnaise. Taste and adjust seasoning. I made this this weekend and it was delicious.

PrimalJason is offline Junior Member
    I've used this method successfully.

Barefeet In The Kitchen: Quick and Easy Homemade Mayonnaise with Olive Oil

It is so easy with an immersion blender and a wide mouth mason jar. Used 1 Cup Light Olive Oil rather than 3/4.

For preservation, I add 1 TBSP Whey (from yogurt) at same time as lemon juice. When done, let it sit out on the counter for 7 hours, then refrigerate.

It tastes great!

otzi Guest
    I could never make it until I read somewhere that all the ingredients need to be room temp. So, I set the eggs and lemon juice out for a couple hours, put 2 egg yolks, lemon juice salt, pepper, mustard and 1 cup olive oil in a tall container all at once. Then I use an immersion blender, some call it a stick blender, put it all the way to the bottom (which is where the eggs will be) and turn the blender on. First it stirs the egg, then it sucks the oil down into the egg. After about 30 seconds you have a big batch of perfect mayo.

diinky1119 is offline Member
    ok .. Im gona try one more time with the light olive oil ... thanks everyone !!!!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Google "Immersion blender mayonnaise" - lots of recipes and it is ridiculously easy. I often add a crushed clove of garlic and a couple of anchovies - really yummy! Or a handful of finely chopped herbs.

Tneah is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Google "Immersion blender mayonnaise" - lots of recipes and it is ridiculously easy. I often add a crushed clove of garlic and a couple of anchovies - really yummy! Or a handful of finely chopped herbs.
    Yep, so easy with an immersion blender.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast