Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some advise on caloric intake with lifting page

marktripp is offline Senior Member

Need some advise on caloric intake with lifting

Primal Fuel
    So here is my dilema. I was very strick with my lifting and dieting for some time back in 09-10. Since October 2010 I've been hanging on, doing this and that but making it work and about 220 with less than desireable body comp. I've been back on track with diet and cardio since october and for 3 weeks or so back to strong lifts 5x5. I've been calorie restrictive to 2500 cals a day and really average 2k or even under on some days. Since starting lifting again I've tried to stay more to the 2500. I eat very clean most likely on the 98% or higher side of primal with dairy. I'm 6'4" as of writing this post after dinner 200lbs. I feel as though I may be shy on my intake to see gains, I say this because back in October 10 my working weight was squats:225, bench 165, OHP 105, deadlift 270, I was about 185-190 t that time, whats the thought

I forgot to add my current SL weights, silly me. Squat 195, bench 160, OHP 110, Deadift 235. I feel as though my squat, bench and OHP is very close to a de-load session. I have a slightly modified schedule, I'm going on to my rest days starting tomorrow so I'm hoping that with be what I need. Or is it more calories i need? Out of my macro's my carbs are very rarely over 60G and my protein is usually 200G+ with my fat hovering 90-140G.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Don't expect to set new personal records on a calorie restricted diet. Low calorie dieting is for losing weight and getting lean, whereas high calorie dieting is for gaining strength and growing muscle.

wesrman is offline Member
    What Kharnath said exactly. ^^
    Character is both developed and revealed by tests, and all of life is a test.
    -Rick Warren

Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    Don't expect to set new personal records on a calorie restricted diet. Low calorie dieting is for losing weight and getting lean, whereas high calorie dieting is for gaining strength and growing muscle.
    So I should add calories?

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    You need to decide whether or not you want to cut, bulk or maintain.

2500 calories for a 6'4 200lb dude lifting heavy is bird crumbs.

If you want to get lean, cut and vascular - cut, and don't expect any strength gains.

If you want to keep UP with your lifts and maybe see an increase in lifts here and there, eat at maintenance calories.

If you want to up your lifts and lift some really heavy shit, then you are going to have to feed those muscles what they
    want and give them a caloric surplus. Time your big meals AROUND your training and see how you do.

If you're afraid of putting on fat while eating in a surplus, well, that's what bulking is all about if you want to lift heavy stuff.

However, you could always off-set it on your rest days and eat in a deficit.

"Bulking" doesn't have to mean eating everything in sight and getting up to 300lbs of pure muscle, veins and sinew, but it DOES mean
    that if you want to up your lifts, yer gonna have to give your body what it wants.

You can alllllllways cut later... like for summer.

Julie

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Not trying to thread-jack, but do you guys find that excess/over maintenance calories are necessary to get stronger? From my somewhat limited experience, it seems that you can get stronger pretty much as fast eating at maintenance versus eating well above it. I know you have to build muscle to get stronger after a certain point, but it's certainly possible to get stronger with the muscle tissue you currently have without building more too.

Absolutely, and it usually applies to New Lifters.

For us old timer lifters (lifting heavy over a year), you can still lift progressively more weight without eating in a surplus,
    but only if you're allowing adequate recovery time.

So if you're lifting heavy 4 days a week - GOOD LUCK WITH THAT in a deficit.

If you lift, say, Monday and Friday, heavy, 3X5, in a SMALL deficit, you may see some gain in your lifts.

At some point though, you will have to eat more to get them thar muscles BIGGER and STRONGER so
    they can lift heavier..... but you don't have to go crazy to do it.

I've been doing the Monday - Friday thing (though it kills me not to lift every day, cuz it's my crack), in a deficit, and
    I've gotten my dumbbell row up to 60lbs. And I'm a chick!. 5'3, 120lbs and 43yo.

This is all without eating a shit ton of food.... however, I've been stuck at my 60lb dumbbell row... fer like... hmm,
    6 months? But still, it's 60lbs!

It also really helps to vary your exercises too. They may seeeem the same, and work the same muscles, like dumbell
    row versus a bent over barbell row with an overhand grip, but it's different to the muscles. Get them used to one thing
    for a few lifting sessions and then mix it up with something else and they'll like it lots.

Julie

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    I've been doing the Monday - Friday thing (though it kills me not to lift every day, cuz it's my crack), in a deficit, and
    I've gotten my dumbbell row up to 60lbs. And I'm a chick!. 5'3, 120lbs and 43yo.
    Julie
    Nice! That is impressive - Half your bodyweight! That's more than I use on DB rows, and I'm a 165 5'11" guy. And thanks for the advice and clarification.

Ha! Thanks!

However, in your defense, it's not like I'm repping out a 3X8 with those puppies... more like a 3X3.... for NOW. RARRRR!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast