Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Statins - why am I on Them? page

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member

Statins - why am I on Them?

Primal Fuel
    OK, just a little background info. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 3 months ago. I am on Metformin, Januvia and Lipitor. I have been Primal since I was diagnosed. I have lost 42 pounds since then and my most recent bloodwork looked like this:
    Total Cholesterol = 95
    LDL Cholesterol = 39
    HDL Cholesterol = 31
    Triglycerides = 121

Now, should I go off the Lipitor? I'm looking for some advice.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Uh, yes.
    Lipitor inhibits the production of cholesterol which is needed for everything from brain function to bile formation for healthy bones and teeth.
    LDL is a shuttle of cholesterol to wounds, infections, tissue repair, hormone production, vitamin production (retinol for eyes, vitD3 for bones, etc), LDL (fluffy kind) is important for the immune system to fight off invaders like the flu, parasites and fungus, bacterial infections. And since it also renews cells and carries old crap out (HDL) inhibiting this will raise your risk of cancer.

Your TG are above 70, meaning all of your LDL and HDL is small and dense, making it hte risky kind, the ones that give you a stroke or heart attack, forming plague. TG needs to be below 70 and you can achieve that by cutting out grains of any kind. I bet that with your TG at 121 you're not completely on a primal diet but cheat quite often with the wrong kind of foods.

I'm not a medical professional by any means and don't want to give you health advise I'm not entitled to, but if I were you I'd drop that Lipitor and get on a 100% primal/paleo diet immediately. You could have perfect number within 2 weeks.

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    I agree with getting off of the Lipitor. It's poison and that's some scary low TC. I'm not a medical professional but if there was any "medicine" I wouldn't take it's one that blocks your body from doing one of it's most essential processes.

Ok, I understand the comment about good and bad cholesterol. But, I'm seriously nutty about the primal aspect. I should note that my triglycerides were 1100+ three months ago, so I've come a long way in a short time. So, let me understand. The Lipitor is jamming down my cholesterol (both good and bad) so I don't have enough of either ttype?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Tribe View Post
    OK, just a little background info. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 3 months ago. I am on Metformin, Januvia and Lipitor. I have been Primal since I was diagnosed. I have lost 42 pounds since then and my most recent bloodwork looked like this:
    Total Cholesterol = 95
    LDL Cholesterol = 39
    HDL Cholesterol = 31
    Triglycerides = 121

Now, should I go off the Lipitor? I'm looking for some advice.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Tribe View Post
    Ok, I understand the comment about good and bad cholesterol. But, I'm seriously nutty about the primal aspect. I should note that my triglycerides were 1100+ three months ago, so I've come a long way in a short time. So, let me understand. The Lipitor is jamming down my cholesterol (both good and bad) so I don't have enough of either ttype?
    !
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Talk to your doctor about lipitor, not anonymous people on the internet. Not everything is some sort of conspiracy.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Talk to your doctor about lipitor, not anonymous people on the internet. Not everything is some sort of conspiracy.
    Or is it?

Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    He did cut my Lipitor in half to 10 mg. But said he wouldn't take me off of it. I told him my long-term goal is to be medicine-free. I tdon't think he he believes me. Maybe time to get a new doc...

karatepig is offline Member
    Jimmy boy, I think you might just be a bit uninformed. This is not the first post where you have pulled conventional wisdom out of your ass and acted as though you were saving the poster from the tin-foil-hat brigade. Calories In- calories out, talk to you doctor about Lipitor. Jesus, this is the exact crap that hurts people enough to make a forum like this necessary. If you aren't just a troll, then prove it by taking the time to learn about how the human body works, how the FDA is OWNED by Big Pharma and Big Agri,
    and how obesity and degenerative diseases have been increasing in accordance with the compliance of the masses with recent medical and nutritional advice (that being the last 100-200 years).
    Last edited by karatepig; 12-13-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast