Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm jealous of my wife page

adamm is offline Senior Member

I'm jealous of my wife

Shop Now
    So I do all the cooking at home; my wife burns water. Literally. She once caught a pot of water on fire trying to boil it...

So she (and the kids) are not Primal. But they eat what I eat, and then something. So when I'm cooking dinner, it is a Paleo meal (protein plus veg) with a side of starches (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc). Occasionally I'll cook them up some home made mac and cheese (my wife loves it) and eat something different myself.

My wife recently went to get her bloodwork checked. HDL = 89, LDL = 55 (puffy too), and triglycerides = 30. Aaaaaaaargh!!!!! Hers improved eating what I cook (since I went Primal 10 months ago), but she still gets the breads/gluten. Heck, she even snacks on popcorn, cookies, lots of bread (lots and lots).

Can I just confess jealousy? I mean, she's slim (not skinny fat), doesn't exercise (except for our 3+ mile walks several times a week, and eats whatever she wants.

--Me

Leida is offline Senior Member
    My gods, I am soooo jealous of your wife too! Particularly you cooking all the meals! I start my day 30 min earlier to cook my husband's primal breakfast and pack everyone's lunches while on my fast & cook every meal we eat. I log, train, do special macros with a diligence, and I am not slender. As I said, some women are SUPER-lucky! She gotta treasure you!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Gluten isn't going to affect your cholesterol numbers. If you're eating the same glycemic load of white potatoes vs wheat (notice I said load, not glycemic index), your trigs should be similar enough to lead to similar ratios. What your wife isn't showing on paper is the effect the gluten has on her gut. Gluten disrupts digestion and gut permeability, so she could have great numbers thanks to fantastic genetic predisposition to handling starch, yet her digestive system could be in disarray.

Tell her to get a c-reactive protein test. That shows systemic inflammation. She could have nice cholesterol numbers and be all inflamed since wheat is highly inflammatory vs potatoes. Personally, I don't give much a damn about cholesterol numbers with a high HDL and a low triglyceride (my HDL is 95 and trigs are 40 last time I checked, I couldn't care less about my total). I care about my body's inflammation, which is why my CRP score of 0.2 looks just dandy to me. And that was only 3 months Primal. Now that I'm 9 months in, I bet it's even better.

Most people aren't all that sensitive to bread, anyway. Yes, we'd ALL be better off never eating any gluten-containing grains, but let's not forget that people eat gluten in this country with every meal, every day of their lives and still live to be 80 regularly. If you are doing all the cooking and your non-gluten-sensitive wife has gone from eating bread with every meal to once or twice a week, she's going to see big health benefits. I used to eat bread every day and I never had an issue. I haven't eaten anything more than a bite or two of bread in over 9 months because I choose to as I'm much better without it, but I could easily get away with it. Especially since I only baked my own and fermented the hell out of it for 3 days. Honestly, I miss baking bread more than eating it. It was fun.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 12-13-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

adamm is offline Senior Member
    I didn't mention wife's CRP because it was also stellar. Of course... And as for her gut, she doesn't seem to have any problems at all. No symptoms of anything bad. I guess she's one of the lucky few.

As for bread, I agree with you. I still bake the challah on Fridays for Shabbat, even though I don't partake. And I still make home made pasta for wife and kiddies once in a while (use yummy sausage for the filling of the ravioli).

Now I just need to get her to start to LHT, but we have to wait until after the 3rd monkey is born.

--Me

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    LDL at 55 is in indicator that she frequently gets the cold more so than you.
    Low LDL has been associated with high risk of cancer and early death.
    LDL is a window into immune system health.
    LDL builds new cells, renews and repairs tissue and produces hormones, 'vitamins' such a retinol and D3 etc, is generally needed for hearth health, lung and brain function.
    The combination of primal meals and grains (which are supposed to lower LDL) seems to be showing up with perfect number in the medical community, yet the ratio of things are a lot more important.
    Her ratio between Trig/HDL is above normal showing a 2.9 !!! This ratio is supposed to be UNDER 2.
    Her ratio between LDL/HDL shows a 1.6, yet normal, healthy ratio is BEST 2.5-3.

Grains are obviously inhibiting the production of hormones, bile formation for proper digestion of fats and fat-soluble vitamins A D E and K for healthy bones. Her number indeed look awesome on paper....but many, many tests have shown that people with proper ratios live longer and are healthier than those that show extremely low chol. numbers.
    Something else is going on.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    So I do all the cooking at home; my wife burns water. Literally. She once caught a pot of water on fire trying to boil it...

So she (and the kids) are not Primal. But they eat what I eat, and then something. So when I'm cooking dinner, it is a Paleo meal (protein plus veg) with a side of starches (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc). Occasionally I'll cook them up some home made mac and cheese (my wife loves it) and eat something different myself.

My wife recently went to get her bloodwork checked. HDL = 89, LDL = 55 (puffy too), and triglycerides = 30. Aaaaaaaargh!!!!! Hers improved eating what I cook (since I went Primal 10 months ago), but she still gets the breads/gluten. Heck, she even snacks on popcorn, cookies, lots of bread (lots and lots).

Can I just confess jealousy? I mean, she's slim (not skinny fat), doesn't exercise (except for our 3+ mile walks several times a week, and eats whatever she wants.

--Me
    Including grains in your diet will have that effect on cholesterol a lot of the time.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    I didn't mention wife's CRP because it was also stellar. Of course... And as for her gut, she doesn't seem to have any problems at all. No symptoms of anything bad. I guess she's one of the lucky few.

As for bread, I agree with you. I still bake the challah on Fridays for Shabbat, even though I don't partake. And I still make home made pasta for wife and kiddies once in a while (use yummy sausage for the filling of the ravioli).

Now I just need to get her to start to LHT, but we have to wait until after the 3rd monkey is born.

--Me
    That's fantastic. Some people are just blessed with good genetics. I have an iron gut myself and can eat ridiculous spice and massive quantities of food for my size. The only things that blow me up are sweet potatoes and homogenized cow's milk, but I have to eat about 4 lbs of sweet potatoes and a half a gallon of milk to really see the effects, haha.

That being said, why are you avoiding bread? Are you avoiding bread because of the health problems associated with wheat or are you strictly low carbohydrate? I avoid bread because of the wheat, not the carbohydrate. If you do not fear carbs or you can fit them into a healthy eating plan, I suggest looking into alternative flours to make your bread. Using 2 cups white rice flour, 1/2 cup tapioca flour and 1/2 cup potato starch will substitute wonderfully as a white flour alternative and contain virtually no toxins. You can sub out another 1/2 cup of white rice flour for 1/2 cup of sorghum, as well. The sorghum does have some anti-nutrients, but it won't be that terrible at that low of a quantity and it'll add an earthier flavor closer to whole wheat. If you choose to, you can add a tablespoon of buckwheat flour to the sorghum and ferment that portion with Greek yogurt overnight to remove the phytic acid. Just combine 1/2 cup of sorghum with 1-2 tablespoons of buckwheat and 1/2 cup of unsweetened Greek yogurt, then thin out with water into a pancake-batter consistency with a sprinkle of yeast and let it sit on the counter for 1-3 days to ferment, similar to a poolish. If you're a baker, I'm sure you're familiar.

It'll be more difficult to shape the bread for sure without the gluten, but it'll be a much healthier alternative you can partake in if you can handle starch. You can do the same with pasta, too. Organic brown rice pasta is excellent, and I hardly know the difference. You can make pasta dough using this same procedure. You'll probably have to get yourself some xanthan gum, though. It helps with making a bread-like texture in the absense of gluten.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I hear you! My 'man' is slim, never has colds or stomach problems, or gets ill. he chows down on carbs like they're going out of style. Literally everything he puts in his mouth is a carb fest, and his choice of beverage...? beer or coffee (with sugar, of course). No exercise, Bread, pasta, cheesecake... Hardly ever a vegetable! Though he does eat seafood regularly. He often goes all day without eating, and when he does he hardly eats anything before saying he's full, so maybe he's a getting the benefits of IFing.

So, yeah, I think some people can consume crap and still appear to thrive. No sugar dips or crashes, no obvious signs of inflammation or outward illness. Because of that he insists he's healthy, and refuses to even consider paleo, even though death from heart disease runs in his family. That worries me a lot, but what can I do, when he insists he's well, and he would even argue that he's healthier and stronger than me, which is somewhat true given that before Paleo I was sick with one thing or another all the time!!

I want to get us some blood work done, since, if he sees the numbers (and if mine are better than his) it might make him realize something's gotta change... Which tests do you recommend (LDH / HDL) and...? c-reactive protein...?

And is it ONE test that does all that, or do I have to ask for what I want tested. (never done tests before, so not sure...) also, if there's a chapter in the book I should read up on I would appreciate the reference.
    Last edited by thaijinx; 12-13-2011 at 04:19 PM.

greensleeves is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau;

Her ratio between Trig/HDL is above normal showing a 2.9 !!! This ratio is supposed to be UNDER 2.
    Her ratio between LDL/HDL shows a 1.6, yet normal, healthy ratio is BEST 2.5-3..

I agree. Her trig/HDL ratio isn't awesome. It's actually a problem. I wouldn't boast about those numbers, or be jealous of them. As a woman, she could do far, far better. . . imvho. About 25% of the population have no issues with grains or carbs. She may be lucky in that area, but her trig/HDL ratio is telling us a different story.

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    from the OP "HDL = 89, LDL = 55 (puffy too), and triglycerides = 30."
    This would be a trig to LDL ratio of 30/89 = .39 that is well under 2 which is good
    LDL to HDL would be 55/89 = .62 which may be not so good
    Or is math different where I am from :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast