Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary lipid panel? page

Witchy is offline Member

Scary lipid panel?

Shop Now
    I've been eating about 80/20 primal for the past three months--definitely leaning towards 80-90% primal all the time.

I just had my lipid panel run, and I'm not happy with my results. My HDL:triglyceride ratio is good, but everything else looks pretty crappy to me. My father does have high cholesterol, but mine's only ever been on the "higher side of normal". This is the highest it's ever been. I'm 28 years old, female, non-smoker, I do take hormonal birth control pills, and I weigh about 180lbs. I take a daily 1000mg (salmon) fish oil supplement.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Total Cholesterol 261 (100 - 200) mg/dL
    Triglycerides 80 (25 - 150) mg/dL
    HDL Cholesterol 60 (40 - 59) mg/dL
    LDL Cholesterol 185 (0 - 129) mg/dL
    ~Kai

Visit me at Primal Cauldron for recipes and progress updates.

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    No scary at all.

Did you know that up until a few years ago "normal" total cholesterol was 240? Do you know that there is NO evidence that high TC is bad for women? Quite the opposite, some studies seem to indicate that "high" TC in elderly women is protective of all causes mortality.

Do you know that TC under 170 is associated with a higher risk of cancer, stroke, depression, and suicide? Do you know that half the people with heart disease have "low" cholesterol?

Your Triglycerides are under 100 and your HDL is at 60. While your HDL could be higher, you're in a good range. With those numbers, your LDL is not only wrong (the calculation they use does not work with Tris under 100), but is sure to be large and fluffy. TC does not matter, at all.

Witchy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasintrail View Post
    No scary at all.

Did you know that up until a few years ago "normal" total cholesterol was 240? Do you know that there is NO evidence that high TC is bad for women? Quite the opposite, some studies seem to indicate that "high" TC in elderly women is protective of all causes mortality.

Do you know that TC under 170 is associated with a higher risk of cancer, stroke, depression, and suicide? Do you know that half the people with heart disease have "low" cholesterol?

Your Triglycerides are under 100 and your HDL is at 60. While your HDL could be higher, you're in a good range. With those numbers, your LDL is not only wrong (the calculation they use does not work with Tris under 100), but is sure to be large and fluffy. TC does not matter, at all.
    *whew* Awesome. I've been digging around like mad in cardiac journals online, and I've calculated out all my ratios. I'm going to try lean towards doing more 90/10 with my primal, and really watch my Omega 6's, and see if that boosts my HDL at all... I also need to check at home what my levels were last two times (before primal, and then before primal but with red yeast rice--a natural statin, because my old GP was freaking out). I have a new GP now, he knows I'm doing primal but he said the dreaded "just make sure it's lean protein" line, so we'll see how much convincing I have to do to keep him from talking statins at me.
    ~Kai

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    ehhh, let him talk. Either say no, or nod and smile and throw the script out.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I'd get a test done to determine if you're LDL are fluffy, billowy or small and dense. Your triglycerides being over 70 it could be either, or.

Witchy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau View Post
    I'd get a test done to determine if you're LDL are fluffy, billowy or small and dense. Your triglycerides being over 70 it could be either, or.
    Do you know what the test is called?
    ~Kai

BiggaWhat is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchy View Post
    Do you know what the test is called?
    Its called a VAP test if I remember correctly. Gives you more info about particle size. Fluffy=good, dense=bad

XGrains is offline Member
    You don't say how tall you are, but I would get your weight down by going more primal and getting exercise on a regular basis. If you haven't exercised, start a walking program and build up to where you are able to do some more strenuous exercise in addition to your walking. This should get your HDL up.

greensleeves is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchy View Post

Total Cholesterol 261 (100 - 200) mg/dL
    Triglycerides 80 (25 - 150) mg/dL
    HDL Cholesterol 60 (40 - 59) mg/dL
    LDL Cholesterol 185 (0 - 129) mg/dL
    Take a look at this trig chart:

Adult Males Upper level: 130 mg/dL + age; Maximum: 200 mg/dL, or 2.3 mmol/L
    Adult Females Lower level: 80 mg/dL + age; Maximum: 165 mg/dL, or 1.9 mmol/L
    Adult Males and Females Lower level: Your age
    Adult Males and Females Below 100 mg/dL, or 1.1 mmol/L: Ideal level

So a doctor would say, ok, 80+28 (your age) = 108, that would be ok for you. Notice that your trigs are *at the baseline*, just 80. You have excellent trigs. What's "crappy" about that? But wait, the news gets better - they can still be lower - as you continue, you'll lose more weight, and you should see the trigs continue to drop.

As for your HDL, you can improve that also with weight loss, exercise, and eating more fish or taking some fish oil for a sustained time period. Check out this chart:

U.S. and some other countries Canada and most of Europe
    Below 40 mg/dL (men) Below 50 mg/dL (women) Below 1 mmol/L (men) Poor
    Below 1.3 mmol/L (women) 50-59 mg/d 1.3-1.5mmol/L Better
    60 mg/dL and above Above 1.5 mmol/L Best

Your HDL is already in the best category. I'm really unclear what more anyone could want - you're exceptionally healthy here and have ample opportunity to easily get to optimal, elite health.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Using the Iranian method instead of the Friedwald (which is more accurate when Trigs are under 100), your LDL is closer to 169, not 185.

Also, check out this study which shows that (for women) there is a direct correlation between higher cholesterol and lower risk of mortality (and vice versa). For men, it's more of a U-shaped curve with a sweet spot in the middle.

From the PubMed abstract:

Conclusion  Our study provides an updated epidemiological indication of possible errors in the CVD risk algorithms of many clinical guidelines. If our findings are generalizable, clinical and public health recommendations regarding the 'dangers' of cholesterol should be revised. This is especially true for women, for whom moderately elevated cholesterol (by current standards) may prove to be not only harmless but even beneficial.
    Last edited by RitaRose; 12-13-2011 at 04:33 PM.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast