Thread: Any risks in eating too much organ meat (liver, heart)? page

toban is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

My local bison farmer (grass-fed and organic, of course!) sells the organ meats at rock bottom prices. I want to know if there are any dangers of eating too much liver or heart.

Michael Eades discusses the zinc-copper ratio, saying we generally don't get enough copper (comes from liver), but are there dangers of getting too much from eating liver?

What makes me a bit worried about eating a lot of organ meat is that hunter-gatherers would have eaten the whole animal and gotten a balanced mix of muscle and organ meats. (On the other hand, insofar as liver was considered a delicacy, the tribe leaders might have had first dibs on it and eaten quite a bit.)

Any thoughts?

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

hfox is offline Junior Member

Another potential risk that jumps out at me is gout.

From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gout#Diet

"Foods high in purines

* Limit food high in protein such as meat, fish, poultry, or tofu to 8 ounces (226 grams) a day. Avoid entirely during a flare-up.[citation needed] Tofu has been proposed as a safe source of protein for gout patients due to its small and transient effect on plasma urate levels.[56]

* Sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, brains, or other offal meats."

The general precautions against quality meat consumption above 8oz/day are certainly debatable (along w/ many of the other dietary recommendations listed), but I have heard many stories of people who have consumed liver frequently and who got slammed w/ gout.