Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Multi-day hiking w/backpack in minimalist shoes? page

norak is offline Senior Member

Multi-day hiking w/backpack in minimalist shoes?

Shop Now
    Has anyone done any serious (multi-day) hiking with a semi-heavy (15-20kg) backpack in minimalist shoes like VFFs or similar?

I'm curious, because I normally wear traditional hiking boots or trekking shoes (depending on terrain) for these kind of trips, but say you were hiking in a terrain that would be doable in sneakers on a day hike (i.e. without the backpack or with a lighter pack), would it also be doable with a heavier load in minimalist shoes?

I've done some one-day hikes (6-7h) in thin-soled shoes (like Asics Pirhana SP3 or Converse Chuck Taylor's) with a lighter backpack (8-10kg), and some 2-3h hikes in flip-flops/sandals, but my main problem with this type of footwear is that I tend to hurt my feet on sharp rocks (i.e. rocks that hurt through the sole when you step on them the wrong way) and bump my toes into stuff, which also hurts.

I'm not so much worried about ankle support or calf exhaustion as actually hurting my feet. I can imagine a multi-day hike becoming rather unpleasant as soon as you break a toe or cut the sole of your foot. Is it just a matter of looking where you step and "feeling" the ground with your feet? I'd imagine the pressure/pain from stepping on "unfriendly" rocks is also magnified with the extra weight of the backpack on your step.

So, anyone have any input on this? Is it worth doing (with some training), or just not a good idea?
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    How did the day hikes feel a year and a half ago when you were carrying 35 pounds on your body? Great progress!

I have not done any backpacking with minimalist shoes. You might look at the Inov8 line as they have some more substantial boots that have little heel lift. Also, russell moccasin company makes a minimalist hunting boot that may suit. These are custom and pricey but look very well made.

jwhal is offline Junior Member
    I'm also curious about any replies. There's a local trail, 58 km's long, that I've done in hiking boots but I have got it in my mind to try to do it in far less than the typical 2.5 days while wearing minimalist shoes. With that said, after stubbing my pinky toe nicely on the stroller wheel while walking the baby last week, I'm starting to think that a multi-day hike wouldn't be wise in FF's....mostly due to the fact that when you get tired from backpacking with 40-50 lbs on your back, you get lazy and less mindful (or is it more mindless) about foot placement. Not sure if I broke my toe, but the entire toe and part of my foot turned some awfully funky looking colors (along with the swelling).

Jon

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    I am a big backpacker. I would never and I repeat never hike into camp with minimalist shoes. I stow them in the pack and take them out when I get to camp. Two things you don't skimp on when backpacking; foot wear and shelter. You screw your feet up out in the wilderness somewhere you are f-cked. Wearing a 50lb + pack is hard enough of the legs and feet, no need to hurt your feet more. Busting a toe because you kick a rock because your legs are too tired to lift you feet is not fun. Save the minimalist shoes for day hikes and a day pack.

JimS is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    I am a big backpacker. I would never and I repeat never hike into camp with minimalist shoes. I stow them in the pack and take them out when I get to camp. Two things you don't skimp on when backpacking; foot wear and shelter. You screw your feet up out in the wilderness somewhere you are f-cked. Wearing a 50lb + pack is hard enough of the legs and feet, no need to hurt your feet more. Busting a toe because you kick a rock because your legs are too tired to lift you feet is not fun. Save the minimalist shoes for day hikes and a day pack.
    Totally agree with this. Minimalist shoes like the Merrel Trail Glove or (my favorite) New Balance Minimus MT10 weigh next to nothing, take up little room, and would be perfect as "in camp" shoes.

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    Hiking in vff's has led to some pretty obnoxious big toe blisters both times I have attempted. However, I have had success hiking and hunting in a pair of Vivobarefoot Aquaeos that I got on ebay.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i suspect once your feet get used to going barefoot there really is a lot less problem with sharp terrain and rocks. i mean how did our ancestors make it all those years without hiking boots?

i wear merrell trail gloves when im hiking and i do notice sharp rocks and pointy sticks, but i cant say my feet are very tough by barefoot standards at all. I think the only way to get your feet ready for that type of terrain is to actually go barefoot

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    I would wear merrell trail gloves or other minimal full shoe and put the VFF's on the pack for destination day hikes.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    BTW, I used to wear the first VFF's once I got to camp...... Nija Tabi's

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've done many multi-day hikes in Chaco sandals, including segments of the John Muir Trail and Pacific Crest Trail, even in the snow. They kind of don't work very well for snow, but they are far better than any boots I've ever hiked in. I'll never do boots again. Recently I got some Altra Lone Peaks which are sort of hybrid minimalist shoes. They're awesome! I would totally hike the entire PCT in them. I've got some VFFs but I don't think I like them well enough to wear them on a long hike. Just for your consideration, my gear is around 10lbs before food and water is included and I like to hike 15-30 miles a day.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 192.5lbs, press 75lbs and deadlift 210lbs

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast