Thread: easy way to add fat to dinner? page

Brent* is offline Senior Member

easy way to add fat to dinner?

Primal Fuel
    Do any of you guys drink coconut milk with your dinner? I might try this because I don't get a lot of fat at dinner unless I have red meat (which I don't always have). I might just start drinking a can of coconut milk for dinner every night and see if that keeps hunger cravings away later in the night.

I'm guessing my lack of fat with my dinner some evenings is the reason I get the munchies a few hours later. I know I could snack on healthy stuff, but am wondering if you guys have any quick tricks that keep hunger at bay. Thanks!

MightyMouse is offline Senior Member
    If you feel the need for more calories I think the coconut milk is a great idea. I find making a big salad is an easy way to add some extra fat via olive oil and coconut milk.

Brent* is offline Senior Member
    ok, a little confused here. If fat has a ton of calories per gram, if you eat a ton of it shouldn't you gain weight (I'm thinking if you remain sendantary?) I know blood sugar levels have most to do with getting fat, but fat calories have no play in adding weight/getting fat?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    You could also add butter, ghee, coconut oil, olive oil or any other fat to your veggies or meats that you are preparing. Or make sauces or curries with coconut milk or other fats.

I don't like drinking straight coconut milk - it just doesn't taste great to me. I do love it frozen and blended with some frozen blueberries or fresh mango. So you could make a little primal dessert if you wanted to include it.

norak is offline Senior Member
    Plenty of sour cream and butter with every meal usually does the trick for me.
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent* View Post
    ok, a little confused here. If fat has a ton of calories per gram, if you eat a ton of it shouldn't you gain weight (I'm thinking if you remain sendantary?) I know blood sugar levels have most to do with getting fat, but fat calories have no play in adding weight/getting fat?
    +1 to butter. As far as fat making you fat, it's harder to gorge yourself on fat(and protein) than it is to gorge yourself on carbs. I used to get 55% of my calories during my SAD days from carbs, that was about 350-400 grams of carbs a day. To get the same ratio of fat per day nowadays it's about 100-120 grams of fat a day and I've easily cut my calories on average about 800 a day without feeling restricted and more satiated than I did in the past.

With the cold weather coming on and a hurt knee I took three weeks off of walking(outside of what I needed to) and lifting heavy things and I still lost weight during that time and it wasn't muscle(or much) as I came off of injured reserve able to do more reps on most of my exercises during my last LHT workout.

So at least for me, and at this point, it's not so much about how active you are as it is about what you eat. Don't take this is a hall pass to be a couch potato for the rest of your life. I'm just saying if there's some reason you can't work out you shouldn't fret over gaining weight(and losing that much muscle) as long as you are eating primally, especially making sure to get the appropriate amount of protein to maintain.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like a big hunk of butter on my plate. It helps the body absorb the vitamins in veggies. I drank a whole can of coconut milk once and got really sick so I have been afraid to try it again, but that sounds like a good idea. You might try berries and cream or coconut milk for dessert, too. Yum!

Fat won't make you fat. The higher the ratio of fat calories in your diet the less hungry you will be and the less you will eat naturally without trying. Fat is metabolically neutral and won't raise your insulin. Insulin is what causes fat accumulation.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs