Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can general society not connect the dots with heart disease? page

Brent* is offline Senior Member

can general society not connect the dots with heart disease?

Shop Now
    OK, I'm no scientist but this just seems elementary to me. So the majority of people who have heart disease are overweight/fat, correct? If we know that constant high blood sugar levels secrete more insulin, fill up the fat cells, etc, and blood sugar rises from carbs (mainly the bad ones), then why aren't the rest of society connecting the dots here? Are nutritionists just ignoring scientific facts, or is it still disputed that insulin has a direct role in adding weight, obesity, heart disease, etc?

How many scientists, nutritionists, etc would dispute the notion that adding weight is directly tied to carb intake? If no one disputes this, then why the #$@#)(%@#$)!? is their this whole low fat craze sweeping 99% of the country?!

color me confused. Just needed to vent

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    In Australia today the powers that be have released their new draft-for-comment dietary guidelines. 288 pages of carefully not changing much. Many scientists, many references, not much of any use.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljq309 View Post
    In Australia today the powers that be have released their new draft-for-comment dietary guidelines. 288 pages of carefully not changing much. Many scientists, many references, not much of any use.
    Saw this on the news and got excited. But looks like they are pointing towards vegeterianism more than anything else... Sigh.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    Saw this on the news and got excited. But looks like they are pointing towards vegeterianism more than anything else... Sigh.
    I saw this as well. I think the big probelm is that nutritional research is not seperating manufactured meat from plain old fashioned meat, and that is what they are thinking of when they say to reduce meat. Not mince, liver, organs, etc.

I have to say the idea that 1 tablepoon flour = 1 tablsepoon of sugar was a major paradigm shift for me and really keeps me focused, yet most people do not know it.

I think labelling is a great idea but the problem is that for a coke for example and it provides you with 20% of their sugar, people honestly do not htink they eat another 80% of sugar in any given day,when they are probabaly in reality consuming 150% of their sugar needs, and the reality is they need 0%. That is scary.

In regards to the original post, if you read comments in the newspapers (Daily Mail for example in Britain), there are always comments that Type 2 diabetes is more complex than just sugar consumption. But when you look at it, PCOs, all the syndrome X symtoms all come back to excess sugar mucking around with your hormones. Add to it other manufactured food (eg fats). Who is peddling this lie, that it it is more complex than that? It may be, but sugar is a pretty good place to start in regard to diet.

I too am baffled as to why people are not thinking about it.
    Life. Be in it.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    It's science + politics / lawyers. The outcome is inevitable.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    It's science + politics / lawyers. The outcome is inevitable.
    +1
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Because there is no money being made from healthy, happy people.

This is all being done on purpose...ever since BRAN muffins and everything else high bark errrr wood pulp, errr... I mean fiber has been introduced, more people than ever are carrying a little ostomy bag around with them.
    And all those new found diseases (totally made up) like IBS and the drugs taht go with it? Aww, come on, we can't just have everyone cured all of a sudden, what kind of a loss would those pharmaceutical companies have to endure!

To keep making profit you have to go a little further, with each generation being born...where would these companies be if the next quarter looks the same as the year before?!

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent* View Post
    OK, I'm no scientist but this just seems elementary to me. So the majority of people who have heart disease are overweight/fat, correct? If we know that constant high blood sugar levels secrete more insulin, fill up the fat cells, etc, and blood sugar rises from carbs (mainly the bad ones), then why aren't the rest of society connecting the dots here? Are nutritionists just ignoring scientific facts, or is it still disputed that insulin has a direct role in adding weight, obesity, heart disease, etc?

How many scientists, nutritionists, etc would dispute the notion that adding weight is directly tied to carb intake? If no one disputes this, then why the #$@#)(%@#$)!? is their this whole low fat craze sweeping 99% of the country?!

Plenty of people lose weight eating high carb diets. In fact, a good amount of people lose more weight on high carb diets. They are insulin sensitive. There have been multiple studies showing this. Your conclusions are not based on science as you seem to think. Here is an article about one such study:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/sci.../diffdiets.htm
    Last edited by jimhensen; 12-13-2011 at 08:52 AM.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent* View Post

who is "we"? the vast majority of people have no idea what goes in their bodies, and the media pushes a completely different idea ("just watch what you eat! lolz eat this 100cal bag of cookies, because it's only 100cals! yay!") to purposely keep the people dumb and sell them weight-loss products that do nothing at all. This is far from being common knowledge.

Humans are hard wired to make quick assumptions, I read that it helped our survival, it's easy to understand "fat makes you fat", WE know that's not the case, but it does make sense when you read it right? it's like saying "water makes you wet" so it's pretty hard to fight against that erroneous idea. I only speak one other language, and in Spanish the word fat "grasa" also means both dietary fat and adipose tissue (body fat) so it's also hard to tell people that eating fat doesn't make you fat, because it makes much more sense that fat would make you fat.

The only way to help the situation is to educate more people, but unfortunately most people are not just stupid, but don't want to believe that they live in a world where they're constantly lied to. I guess it's not a pleasant feeling, but I've come to terms with it.

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Ignorance as they say is bliss. I'd rather be aware and pissed than go back to being fat and "happy" any day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast