Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Ground Beef in Water page

Cooking Ground Beef in Water

Primal Fuel
    I was wondering if I had some ground beef if it was a good idea to cook it in water. I wanted to cook it or brown it in a pan but I could be losing a lot of the nutrients that way as the beef is in contact with the heat source or pan throughout and the butter; B-12 and other nutrients are also likely lost in this process because it sticks to the pan and the less dense liquid is probably what is left.

Also, using the same cooking utensil throughout the cooking process, even with a rinse in between, is possibly an issue that I just realized after years of doing it. And I don't feel like washing the spoon or whatever multiple times until it is cooked.

So if I cooked it in water, what is a good method of doing it as I have done some research on it and most of the time it says boil but I am not sure if that is the best way but maybe a lengthier slow cook. I am going to drink the water also after LOL, it'll be a stew of some kind. Thank you for anyone who has any advice or who has tried to help.
    Last edited by Baltimoretsg3984; 12-12-2011 at 07:22 PM.

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Do not cook it in water.

But I really do not understand your issue. Butter? Ground beef has plenty of fat...just fry it, season it and eat it. You don't have to drain it, though I do...its a little fatty even for me and that is a pretty high bar. Throw in some onions and minced garlic as it cooks. Or make a nice chili or taco salad with it.

But stay away from the water. Please. That cow died for you. Treat it with respect.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    You could simmer it in broth-that's how I make meatballs and it turns out pretty yummy though I do try to use a leaner mix of beef, otherwise it can get pretty greasy...as in nasty greasy, not finger-lickin' yummy.

I really don't think your losing that many nutrients browning it in a pan though. Remember this is hamburger-you want it cooked through to minimize risk. And why are you adding butter??
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

jammies is offline Senior Member
    If you are worried about the very small amount of nutrient that is left in the pan, just deglaze the pan after cooking and put the sauce over the meat.

But really, I think you are worrying over nothing. Not that much is lost in the cooking process. Just cook your food so it tastes good and enjoy it

Comparison of Vitamin Levels in Raw Foods vs. Cooked Foods

I am just concerned as it is a reasonable possibility. Heat releases and unbinds nutrients and puts them through a very unique process so whether they are water or fat soluble they often bind to fluid or become "loose" and the juice on the pan is more than just fat; it is water of course and probably a good amount of nutrients. And really it isn't a bad idea to consider some new ideas. It really isn't that much of a new idea anyway because it is basically a stew, without double cooking the meat and cooked quicker. But I am trying to avoid boiling it.

norak is offline Senior Member
    The solution: cook a larger portion.
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    No, that's gross.

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoretsg3984 View Post
    And really it isn't a bad idea to consider some new ideas.
    I appreciate the sentiment in the abstract, however, some ideas are absurd on their face. Cook it, drain it...its good.

Satch12879 is offline Member
    More not seeing the forest from the trees...

lazatiger is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I cook ground beef in water. I usually throw it in a pan or a pot and pour a little bit of water in (not even enough to cover it). I put a lid over and let it simmer for as long as it takes to cook all the way through. I cook it like this because it doesn't burn. If I cook it by itself or with oil, it always ends up burning. I could turn the temperature down much lower, but usually I'm in a rush and need to get it done pretty quickly. The water trick cooks it fast and prevents it from burning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast