Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harder than I thought! page

ChrisandJess is offline Junior Member

Harder than I thought!

Well day 1 is almost to a close. I didn't feel as hungry as I thought I would and ended up not having any snacks. The two hardest things for me have been giving up my Starbucks addiction(no seriously, like 2-3 times a day, everyday, for close to 2 years now!) Sickening, I know. The other difficult part is the cravings. It seems that since I know I'm not supposed to hit up every fast food joint in town, my body wants it all.

I did have 2 sodas today, but only because my head was pounding. On top of the ridiculous amounts of Starbucks, I also usually have at least 3 cans of soda, if not more, and sometimes an energy drink on top of that.

My rough totals for the day were 2990 calories, 219 grams fat, 115 grams carbs(70ish from soda), 147 grams protein.

My protein is a tad high, as I figured 90-130 would be my goal range. I am concerned with how hard it is to get remotely close to 100 grams of carbs through mostly vegetables. My salad for lunch was HUGE, but only netted about 25 grams of carbs.

I'm hoping that with better planning things will get easier. We made the impromptu decision on Saturday to start primal living today, and did not really put much thought into the full day's meals. We'll see how tomorrow goes and I'll keep updating!

Chris

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Black coffee and black tea are much better sources of caffeine than diet soda, with its toxic fake sweeteners. Get really good coffee and you don't need to add so much stuff to it.

Planning is huge, or else many trips to the grocery store each week. It'll work out, whichever way you need to do it.

ChrisandJess is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post

Planning is huge, or else many trips to the grocery store each week. It'll work out, whichever way you need to do it.
    That's the biggest thing we got out of today. We're also not used to cooking from scratch. Our diets made the SAD look healthy lol.

Do you have any recommendations for quality coffee? I grew with cream and sugar in my coffee and got hooked on sugar-laden drinks at Starbucks. When I drink coffee at home, it just isn't satisfying for me

caeliumspecto is offline Junior Member
    If you're having issues keeping your carbs at a healthy level, try adding some colorful fruit. If you're worried about sugar, snack on low sugar fruit like berries (blueberries are oddly amazing for this.)

I sadly don't know anything about coffee, but definitely drink coffee and tea over soda. If there is a Teavana in your area, you may want to hit them up for delicious tea (warning: it gets expensive very quickly.) And if you must have sweet, opt for honey or natural agave nectar. They won't give you so many cravings, they're natural, and they will help you ween yourself of refined sugar without feeling so deprived.
    Call me cael if caeliumspecto is just too long.

Also, though I would never say anything I thought would hurt someone, I am not a health expert.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you are one of the ones who need to go gradually into the lifestyle of healthy living. Two cans of soda to stop a headache means you are seriously in need of primal living, though it will be tough. You might try starting one meal at a time - change your breakfasts over first, eat 100% primal until lunchtime, do that for a week, then start figuring out lunches for a week or two,then dinners, or maybe do primal weekends and gradually shift your work days into primal. Any amount of change is beneficial.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    As far as coffee, cream is fine, just not sugar. Buy darker beans and grind them yourself, if the coffee is better you'll need the sugar less. Sounds like sugar is going to be issue #1 #2 and #3 for you guys. It's a bitch, no doubt.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Also, I find that sodas (fake sweets in general) trigger irrational appetite aka binging.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    If you were drinking that much coffee and soda it's really better to wean off so you don't get massive headaches. As everyone else mentioned, coffee is much better than soda, so ditch the soda first. And then cut back on the coffee gradually (try to find organic coffee). Cream is fine, and a little stevia if you need it.

Don't worry about your protein being high-that's a good thing! And same with the carbs being low-that will give you faster results. Until you get the hang of it, I'd just focus on getting good primal food, and worry about macros later. Planning is key, so stock up and have meals ready to go. Good luck!
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Korga is offline Member
    I buy my coffee in 5-lb sacks from the Kauai Coffee Company. It's fresh, grown in the USA, and cheaper than the store. I also buy cacoa nibs from Nuts Online, roast them with a little sugar, and add a teaspoon to my coffee grounds in a French Press. It makes fabulous coffee.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Whoh, how did you decide to go Primal so suddenly? Did you read 21-day Body Transformation?

Did you primalize the pantry?
    Did you locate a farmer's market to see what they have in the way of veggies and pastured meat?
    How do you cook your kale?
    Where is the nearest natural foods store and did you stock up on coconut oil? Nuts to help get you through carb flu?
    Did you switch to grass-fed dairy? Or a least organic half-and-half?
    etc.

But I agree with the posters here; IMO your first job is gradually kicking caffeine while you ramp up your primal planning. Get rid of the energy drinks first, then the soda. Protein sounds OK. Add some berries or sweet potatoes for carbs.

btw, giving up the Sbux a day will MORE than pay for the more expensive grass-fed meat and dairy.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast