Thread: Month in, would like advice page

foolishnostalgia is offline Junior Member

Month in, would like advice

Primal Fuel
    Hey all,

I would like your take on my usual food intake, and see if I should make any adjustments. I've lost about ten pounds so far, but the reality is that I've reached my plateau weight (I previously tried gaining weight/bulk and was largely unsuccessful).

I've been primal for about a month now, but as I'll explain my meat intake isn't very good (I haven't been able to afford/find local grass-fed meats)

Quick Stats:
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 155lbs

Breakfast:
    -3 Egg omelet w/3 strips turkey bacon, some mixed bell peppers and broccoli & a cup of coffee sometime around 11 (5/7 days) cooked in coconut oil
    OR - 3 Eggs and 3 Strips Turkey Bacon (eggs are not organic/free range) cooked in butter
    OR - nothing (IF)

Lunch:
    - Leftover beef/steak (found some non-hormone, but not grass-fed), a LARGE carrot, or cup of veggies
    -Sometimes an apple and almond butter as well

Dinner:
    -Steak/beef and veggies (broccoli, green bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, or whatever else is available)
    OR - Some kind of fish (salmon/tuna/cod)
    OR - Nothing, most days I'm home late and am not hungry enough to want to cook anything.

Snacks:
    A serving of almonds (5/7 days)
    A protein shake (Body Fortress, made with 2 cups water, and 2 tablespoons EV Olive Oil)
    A whole bell pepper or carrot

My workout routine has been poor the last two weeks, but I am about to jump back in. 3 days of Starting strength, daily morning walks, a day of sprints.

My numbers look good, and I feel more energetic than I used to be, but I really want to break this plateau. I would like to break into the single digits for body fat (I'm around 15-18%) that would put me down to about 140/145 lbs.

Can this awesome community offer me some advice?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Not too bad. Don't get all hung up on pastured/grass-fed meat if you can't find/afford it. Minor detail.

My only question is, What's with the turkey bacon? Way too processed. Ditch that and you're looking good.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    One month in, 10 pounds lost is good. Remember this is a way of life, aka lifelong way of eating, and your body needs to change a lot of internal mechanisms and rebalance itself, which is stressful on it and takes time. Any supplements? Fish oil and Vitamin D are all I take, and I'm not very religious about it, but I've been doing this 15 months -- earlier I was more attentive, as I was figuring out how things work for my body and metabolism. Getting the omega balance straightened out helps your body handle stress much, much better, in my experience. (Stress increases cortisol which encourages your body to hold onto fat regardless of food intake.)

Along those lines, you hardly need to be IFing (adding stress). It doesn't really make sense to me - IF sometimes and snack sometimes. Generally speaking, intermittent fasting is a later stage tool, after you have everything else dialed in. Are you sure you're tuned into your body's signals on real hunger versus habitual eating or emotional eating? Dump the snacks. Eat more at meals. You may need to eat more fat to make sure you're satiated at a given meal. Then wait until you're hungry enough for a meal before eating again.

My two cents'.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

johnbu1981 is offline Junior Member
    What are you drinking?

foolishnostalgia is offline Junior Member
    @Diana, didn't know that. Switching back to pork, more tasty anyway.

@beachrat, Thanks for the words. Part of me doing IF was just not eating because I was not hungry. I tend to eat lunch automatically, but I'm rarely hungry for it. I do take Fish Oil and Vita D.

@Johnbu - I drink a cup of coffee a day (around 11am) otherwise water. Sometimes I'll throw in a cup of coconut milk with my protein shake.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a fan of snacking, period. Especially not processed protein shake stuff (What's really in there?). Protein shakes usually have lots of extra junk in them, to include sugars of various types. Almonds are a food that many people stall on, or overeat. Bell peppers, while nutritious and delicious, are still going to raise your insulin levels somewhat, preventing or slowing fat metabolism.

Ditch the snacking. Eat a meal or don't bother. There should be a minimum of 4-5 hours between meals, so if you aren't making it to the next meal without feeling hungry, you need to eat more at your meals.