Thread: old fat and out of shape page

zstewart123 is offline Junior Member

old fat and out of shape

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys and gals,

I am just starting down the Primal road and am really pumped. There are some things i am going to have to adjust for. First I have a below knee amputation which make it difficult to do some of the exercises such as running and squats but I can overcome that with time and effort. What a big problem is that I am about 310 pounds and have never been able to do 1 pull-up even when I was in high school squatting 500 lbs and benching 300 lbs. Do you have suggestions to beginning? Thanks for you help and advice.

Zak

wesrman is offline Member
    Welcome Zak.

You dont have to be able to run, squat, or do pull ups to lose weight and improve your health. Start doing what you can with what you have and make adjustments as you go.

Best of luck to you my friend.
    Character is both developed and revealed by tests, and all of life is a test.
    -Rick Warren

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Hi Zak,

welcome to our tribe.

When I started primal I didn't even consider exercise. I was too busy healing all my ailments. So the most exercise I got was taking my little dog around the block and moving my butt around the house (laundry, shower, cooking).
    Literally, doing just about nothing physically, I lost all the excess weight, came down to ideal weight and grew lean muscle without any heavy lifting...well except the gallon of water in and out of the fridge or the laundry soap container up and down a shelf.

You're in good hands here
    Good Luck on yoru journey

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    To echo what was said before, focus on getting your diet down first. Your attitude is already great though, so I'm sure you'll do just fine.

For fun though, you can start by carefully hanging from bars/branches/etc anything that can support your weight and over time start jumping and trying to catch yourself on the way down. This is called a 'negative' as I'm sure you must be familiar with given your lifting background. Slowly but surely, you'll get that pull-up.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    And again, diet first will help with the rest...First clean your pantry/fridge out, and you're on your way. Good luck, and Grok On!

sixtoesgirl is offline Member
    Welcome. I started out a lot like you. My asthma and excess weight made exercise intimidating. I started by eating primally and doing the few exercises I could. I tried to work out 5 days per week. By "try" I mean "attempt". I could not do sit-ups, etc. but every day I tried anyway. Just do what you are able to do and keep trying. I started in March of this year and went from barely one sit up to joining a Crossfit gym in July. I've lost 48 lbs and gained a new outlook on life. I can run for the first time in my life.

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    Stay positive, and know that being primal is 80 to 90% what you eat. It's okay to go with "baby steps" on the physical side of things. I'm working through a herniated disc so dead-lifts, squatting, and even sprinting may be off-limits for me, perhaps even permanently, but I get in my walks every day and that makes the most difference.

My point is don't sweat with pull-ups yet.. start with eating right and getting your body used to burning fat for fuel instead of carbs.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I don't think I've ever done a pull-up in my entire life. Not even one. I'll probably go to my grave with this winning streak.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

zstewart123 is offline Junior Member
    thanks for all of the support folks. I really appreciate it. Diet started today. 3 eggs for breakfast, leftover steak for lunch and for dinner Primal jambalaya. It was awesome. Everything in it except the rice. So it was chicken thighs, smoked sausage, onions celery bell pepper. Sautéed down with some chicken broth. Hows that for day 1?