Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie questions after first read page

tristonian is offline Junior Member

Newbie questions after first read

Primal Fuel
    Hello all, I recently finished reading the 21 day total body transformation book and I had a few questions regarding food choices.

1) I've known for a long time that eating fish is great for you (I take fish oil supplements), the thing is I can barely stand the taste/consistency of fish, let alone the smell. Any tips as far as what I could add to fish to make it taste better? The only seafood I've been able to tolerate in the past has been of the fried variety.

1a)The other food I saw referenced in dishes is coconut, something I can also not stand, even though for coconut it's more the consistency than the flavor. Any alternatives to coconut?

2) Nuts, I'm allergic. While strongest allergic reaction is to peanuts (yes I know they are legumes) I have not tried every nut to test how strong my reaction would be. Any suggestions or tips?

3) I can see myself living without grains, but kind of weird thinking about life without pizza!!! (I'm Italian) Does anyone have a creative solution of a dish that tastes like pizza and is still cool with the primal plan?

Those are the only nutrition oriented obstacles I can think of as I'm planning on starting this week. Any feedback you could provide would be helpful. I'm considering picking up one of the cookbooks but if there are any kind of general tips or strategies for meals that you'd be willing to share that would be so helpful.

Thanks!

Alainneire is offline Senior Member
    I hear ya on the fish thing - i don't like seafood of ANY kind.... (sigh) There are several recipes on this forum for primal pizza's - just plug "pizza" into the search bar. I have tried a couple and experimented till i made one i really, really loved

Best of luck to you!

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    1. Herbs? Mix it with stuff? Fish isn't essential provided you have grass-fed beef/lamb/etc or take fish oil
    1a. What about coconut oil? Other good oils are animal fats, olive and palm
    2. Nuts aren't essential. If your body doesn't like them don't give it them. It's probably better for your health to avoid nuts

RunBikeLift is offline Member
    I don't like seafood either, however I dont mind canned tuna (I mix with mayo and celery, herbs sometimes mustard), and I found that I can tolerate white fish such as tilapia, cod and orange roughy if I add lots of spices and lemon/lime juice to it. I have yet to make gluten free (primal) pizza, but I will be soon when I have a higher carb day!
    Overweight athlete going PRIMAL

11/4/11
    SW: 228lb
    GW: 160lb by August 2012

11/24/11- 222
    12/30/11- 229
    1/7/12- 225
    1/17/12 (2 weeks into Whole30)- 218
    5/15/12- 218 (Need motivation to eat a clean Primal diet!!)

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    Get your nut allergy checked out, we thought our youngest child was 'allergic to nuts', turn out it's only peanuts, cashews and pistachios. Knowing makes life so much easier.

What kind of fish do you not like, there are so many and they are not all the same. If you don't like white fish flesh try salmon or tuna, or vice versa. Put it in a curry or a gentle stir fry...

The best way to go about most things is to focus on what you can do rather than the obstacles - just a thought.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

tristonian is offline Junior Member
    I haven't met a fish I've liked before really. The closest was mahi. I used to eat tuna growing up but for some reason I don't like it now.

What kind of doctor or other professional could check out my allergies in detail?

I'm pretty sure coconut oil would be fine, just not dishes that have coconut in them that didn't come from the oil.

Thanks for the tips. I also looked up a few recipes for meatza... Meatza! Meatza!
    Greek Meatza with Creamy Feta, Kalamata Olives and Red Onion | Mark's Daily Apple

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alainneire View Post
    I hear ya on the fish thing - i don't like seafood of ANY kind.... (sigh) There are several recipes on this forum for primal pizza's - just plug "pizza" into the search bar. I have tried a couple and experimented till i made one i really, really loved

Best of luck to you!
    Which recipe?
    Thanks
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tristonian View Post
    A few of the meatza recipes tasted more like lasagna to me than pizza. Not a bad thing - they were actually really good - but they didn't taste anything like pizza to me.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

caeliumspecto is offline Junior Member
    As far as fish goes, have you tried sashimi? (Raw fish plain, no seaweed.) It does not taste like fish. It is mild and sweet and kinda melts in your mouth. You have to buy the meat fresh and eat it that day, but it is well worth it.
    Call me cael if caeliumspecto is just too long.

Also, though I would never say anything I thought would hurt someone, I am not a health expert.

raney is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Refined coconut oil will give you the benefits of MCTs and lauric acid without the coconut taste. Use for stir frying, sauteeing veges, etc.

As far as fish, salmon is amazing for you, but if you don't enjoy it - don't eat it. Continue taking your fish oil caps and focus on things like grass fed beef, eggs, lamb, and lots of veges. Pork and chicken are less ideal (omega wise) options, but they're still miles ahead of having a grain-based meal. Your tastes will change after some time eating this way - do what you like for now; once your tastes have shifted a bit, explore.

Also, I really wish I had come across this recipe when I was starting out. I figured it out on my own after six months or so - but seriously, just combine meat, veges, and a fat - and you have a meal.

These days I tend to cook a whole day's food at once, somewhere between 80 - 125g protein, eyeball the amount of fat, add one green vege, an onion, other veges to taste. Eat 1/3rd as breakfast around 10 - 11am, eat the other 2/3rds around 4 - 5pm; fast until 10 - 11am the next day. The 16/8 intermittent fasting is a bit more advanced concept that you can explore once you get the eating habits down, for now focus on shifting the bulk of what you consume to clean foods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast