Thread: Siscoe's Journal page

Siscoe is offline Junior Member

Siscoe's Journal

Primal Fuel
    Hi.

I've lurked for a while, and read everything I can, but never posted. I've been following PB for about 2 years now - it really is the best choice, and I know it makes me feel better than other ways of eating. I've deviated for social reasons and allowed excuses to creep in, but most of that has had to do with lacking a goal - I'm a goal-oriented kind of guy, I guess.

With that said, I've signed up for the Toronto Tough Mudder in August of 2012, and I want to finally switch my body over to permanently fat-burning by then. I also need to improve my general fitness levels if I want to be able to finish the 11 mile race. I also need to figure out how the heck I'm going to navigate the last obstacle, which is a field of live wires and kind of freaks me out.

I will also be doing the Warrior Dash in July in Barrie as a warm up.

In terms of training, I'm planning on following Crossfit Football (which I've been doing for the last few weeks and really enjoy) along with some additional cardio. I used to run marathons, but have transitioned away from that and really don't go much farther than 5k anymore, so the distance is something I need to work up to. I plan on doing two longer runs a week, aiming to keep my heart-rate low (i'm not looking for PR's, just cover the distance and get the mitochondria working). I'll also be doing the sprint work as outlined by CFFB.

The point of the Journal is public accountability. I have a pretty busy life (two jobs, a wife and son), and I let that become an excuse too often. The journal is here for me to post to it publicly and hopefully shame me into sticking with it. I've found I work better like that. Realistically, I expect my wife to be the only one to read it, but if you find it interesting and want to post, feel free.

A few additional details about me - I'm 31, 6 ft 2, and weigh anywhere between 180 and 210. I'm on the heavier side right now, and am working to keep everything together over the Christmas holidays. I'd like to get down to 180 and sit there for a month or two to try and get my body used to that weight.

Like I said - I deviate from time-to-time. It's more the social aspect, but that's the excuse I'm trying to rid myself of. I am in decent shape as compared to others around me, but not anywhere close to what I want to be at. I eat on a 16/8 schedule, for no other reason than it's the easiest for me to manage. I love meat, and don't eat much in the way of vegetables/fruit. I also have a love of Korean and Japanese, so rice finds it's way in occasionally (but not for the near future, anyway).

If I think of more, I'll post more.

Strong day

A good first day - eating was bang on, meat with some cheese and a little bit of veg. Lifting was solid - got my Squats and my Presses in, and made a solid start on the conditioning aspect of it all. Very happy with the day.

Great day of both food and workouts.

On the food front - stuck to the plan (which is to be expected) with a Christmas Concert for my little guy. Got by on coffee with some primal date desserts and cheese. Maybe more cheese than normal, but tacked on to the omelet with meat and some butter chicken (cooked according to one of the paleo cookbooks - Everyday Paleo maybe?) it was a good day.

Workout was solid, although as expected my conditioning is terrible. Back up over 200 on my deadlift with a solid 5x205 dead. My conditioning was 3 pullups following as many Clean and Jerks as possible with a light weight, for 1 minute, when you start again. It was supposed to be 8 rounds (so 8 minutes). I finished 2 before collapsing in a heap. Knocked out 6 pullups and 15 C&J though. So tracking that will help with progress, I'm sure.

Onward and upward with today!

Another solid day of food - proud of myself actually, because the Doritos got broken out and after a long day of ork + meetings it was the last thing I wanted. Ate more cheese than normal, but full-fat and it was good to tide me over. Dinner was chicken, and the non-Dorito snack was a couple of eggs fried over easy in bacon fat. Delicious.

Also a rest day for lifting, so got some walking in but that was about it. Today has been worse - hunger pangs like crazy and a vicious migraine that I have no idea of the origin. I'm hoping things recover as the day goes on - I've got a bunch of meetings after work today again. Also worries I may not get my lift in today - I only have a few 15 minute gaps. We'll see how it goes - I may need to do a few short bodyweight circuits.