Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post primal I am INJURY PRONE. Help! page

cruncan is offline Member

Post primal I am INJURY PRONE. Help!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey everyone, I have a question. Could primal diet be the cause of my recent joint and ligament issues? I'm 22 and a collegiate athlete who started the primal diet early Jan, 2011. Since then, I have torn my ACL, sprained my wrist, and sprained my ankle. I have never had problems with my joints in the past. Now they are fragile. My ACL is better now. I tore it Feb, 2011. Although it is better, it took longer for me to return to action than others I know. Recently, in the first week of Oct. I sprained my ankle and sprained my wrist. I know these are common injuries, but I'm still recovering from them. In the past it would take no time for me to return to action. Post primal, my injuries are healing at a snails pace. I have seen good results in every other aspect of my life, but unless you guys give me a solution, I'm switching my diet back to conventional ways.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Are you actually Primal? Are you eating the WHOLE animal, offal and bones? Liver and spinach get you almost there, but there are many elements dietary science has yet to define, like the factor in liver that prevents exhaustion. I have only gotten stronger since going primal. What, may I ask, are you actually eating?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

I'm not eating the whole animal. I'm eating lots of fatty meat such as beef and pork. I eat tons of eggs, tons of veggies, low on fruit, nuts such as sunflower seeds or almonds for snacks. I drink strictly water or milk.

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    How often do you eat? Do you eat more on Primal than you did previously?

You may be lacking some essential building blocks in that case. Talk to a local butcher who works with grass-fed beef/animals and see if he makes "pet burgers". These are basically organ sausage comprised of kidney, sweetbread and other organs that will make sure your body has all the minerals and vitamins it needs. Aside from the pet burgers, just getting more organ meat of any kind is a good first step. Liver would be the go-to, but also kidneys, bone broth and others will be of great benefit. Fish will also help you! Check your current diet in Fitday to see if you're getting all your B vitamins.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Would a multi-vitamin cover all that? I supplement with multi-vitamins and fish oil. I eat around 5 times a day or whenever I get hungry.

No. Multivitamins can be thrown into the toilet. It's where they go anyway. Without the natural counterparts of a given vitamin as found in food, they are difficult to absorb. Nature's multivitamin that your body can use is cooked greens and organ meats.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Do what you deem necessary, but switching to a diet lower in overall nutrition (vitamins, minerals, etc) in hopes that it will help your body heal is just funny sounding, isn't it?

Could these injuries simply be of a higher degree (ie: you got hit harder, etc) or the fact that you were previously similarly injured is making your body take longer to recover this time around? I'm not sure, just throwing ideas.

It does sound retarded to switch back to a less nutrient dense diet. Good point. I had something going for me before I went primal. I'm thinking that it might have been more carbs. Could that have contributed to me healing faster? Anyways my sport hasn't changed any, just the amount of injuries I have. I'll start eating more organ meets fo sho. Thanks so far

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cruncan View Post
    It does sound retarded to switch back to a less nutrient dense diet. Good point. I had something going for me before I went primal. I'm thinking that it might have been more carbs. Could that have contributed to me healing faster? Anyways my sport hasn't changed any, just the amount of injuries I have. I'll start eating more organ meets fo sho. Thanks so far
    There's quite a few threads here regarding "safe starches" ie: starch sources that are not toxic, mostly potatoes, sweet potatoes/yams, squash, fruits, etc... just because you're avoiding grains/legumes (as you should) doesn't mean that as an athlete you need to walk around in glycogen-depleted state.

Alternatively, visit AnthonyColpo though there's some hate for him around here (since he likes to call us "paleotards" despite his diet basically being a paleo/primal one) where there's plenty of info about eating higher carb while still getting nutrition, and while still avoiding sources of anti-nutrients.

I'm not sure if higher carb should lead to faster healing time at all, but athletes are better off having more carb than the rest of us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast