Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would this be a good workout? page

LockieKermit is offline Member

Would this be a good workout?

Shop Now
    I was just thinking of different types of workouts and training and I was wondering on your opinion on this workout.

It's just a rough idea so far but it makes use of the big 3 compound lifts, the deadlift, squat and benchpress. The routine is broken into 3 phases and it's a 3 times a week workout.

Phase 1) 10min- warm up, mobility, stretching etc.

Phase 2) Compound left: Deadlift (or squat or bench)

3,4,5x5 (however you see fit)

Phase 3) Circuit workout. Since in this case, you did the dead lift, the circuit might consist of exercises that might not put to much strain on your already worked out muscles. Same goes for the rest of the workouts.

I dont know enough to write down a proper circuit but you get the idea.

Each workout is a compound lift followed by a bw or lightweight circuit.

What do you guys think??

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    You can handle more. Most guys want to be stronger, faster, flexible and injury free. IMO, the below satisfies the requirement in the most efficent way possible (the least amount of work/time).

2x a week heavy squat, pull, push 3x5
    1x a week hill sprints (or indoor conditioning if the weather sucks... like 100 burpees for time)
    1x a week yoga (preferably at a studio)

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I did a workout like this last week. Heavy deads followed by lots of pull-ups and push-ups. It was a great workout!

Stop over-thinking it and start training.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

My question, Al, is how do I know if im hitting the right amounts of each body part and not hitting to much of another??

Like, now, I honestly feel like whiping out pushups and some planks, but I miss my back and my legs...
    how do you design your workouts??

Just try to make sure you hit opposite muscle groups evenly. This can be done by using a split routine, or by doing full body workouts each time.

Check out this post of mine, too: Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! Avoiding Injuries in Strength Training

Seriously though, there are many different ways to effectively train your muscles. Don't get overwhelmed by all your options, just start and you'll learn more as you go.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

Thanks dude.
    My door mounted pullup bar doesn't really allow me to do proper pull-ups so often have to stick with chin ups, is that bad? they both work the back in theory??

Also, is it better to, along with front and side planks to do the butt bridges? where you lie on your back and lift your hips off the ground kind of like this
    __/[

ohh, again, sorry to be a pain.

But, is it bad to do pushups and pull-ups only or do I need to include shoulder pressing??

Chin-ups are a fine substitute for pull-ups. And yes, bridges are a great exercise. Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! Back Bridges

cant see the pic, sorry. It where you lie on the ground, raise your hip and knees so your knees are bent at about 90 degrees. The thighs all the way down to your chest/shoulders is essentially straight and off the ground. http://runnersfeed.com/wp-content/up...k_Bridge_2.jpg

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LockieKermit View Post
    My question, Al, is how do I know if im hitting the right amounts of each body part and not hitting to much of another??

Like, now, I honestly feel like whiping out pushups and some planks, but I miss my back and my legs...
    how do you design your workouts??
    First off, what are your goals? How big and how strong do you want to get?

Second, realize that muscles don't grow by just using them. Growth is a hormonal response and in order to generate a substantial hormonal response, you need to stress your central nervous system. Push-ups sure feel like a hell of a workout depending on how many you do, but you're not causing much central nervous system stress unless you're doing them with someone standing on your back. I like breaking things up into two days:

Chest/Back/Shoulders
    Legs/Arms/Abs

Workout #1 would be:
    Deadlift
    Benchpress
    Bent-over Rows
    Overhead Press
    Weighted Pull-ups (get yourself a dip belt with a chain to hang weights off of)

Workout #2 would be:
    Squats
    Weighted Chin-ups (again, get yourself a dip belt with a chain to hang weights off of)
    Standing Barbell Calf Raises
    Lateral Raises
    Heavy Straight Bar Curls
    Heavy Abdominal Press

Then another day you can do some sprints.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast