Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road From Serfdom page 2

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Humans are wired to sell insurance.

We prefer a tangible reward right up front and in front of our eyes (right here, right now), however small it may be, over a potentially large but uncertain benefit in the future. So we do not mind selling insurance like contracts to collect small premia up front and hope that we would not be hit with a big loss in the future. We love to hope. That is our story.

There is more of these stories being unearthed/studied by behavioral economics.

It is interesting how this particular trait guides our other lifestyle choices e.g. eating, smoking, drugs, drinking, etc. We prefer a few minutes of pleasure to potential (unseen) benefits that would accrue in the future.

The weekend has been a very quiet one. Christmas meal was 100% primal: Bro-cauli rice, Chicken curry and Fish curry. Yes, mixing broccoli with cauliflower in cauli rice works! My son freaked out on all three of the above. He absolutely enjoyed his meal.

Few but ripe.

Breakfast today:
    3 eggs, half a radish, one medium sized carrot, one cucumber, half a capsicum. Grate the vegetables. Beat the eggs and mix it with the grated vegetables. Tasty generous sized omlettes ready in 15 minutes.

I had a minor "re lapse" yesterday. After about an hour of walking around the park with my 15 kilo son on my shoulders, i went and played an hour of tennis (1-6, 5-7; i had a horrible serving day). After a shower, i was tempted with a cup of steaming coffee (with milk and splenda) and biscuits and i gave in. And i paid the price for the rest of the day with acid refluxes and frequent farting.
    Now i am convinced it is not worth it at all!

I think it could be interesting if we go a bit more primal i.e. beyond the diet. As a first step of the experiment, I have kept the TV unplugged since a week ago. Amazing, how much time you get every day! We get to go out and hang out in the park, spend time in bookstores or just walk around (lot of frequent slow moving!). And there is nothing i have missed out other than junk on TV.

My next step should get rid of the couch. Guests will be encouraged to squat and drink tea.
    Few but ripe.

Seems like a beautiful day today. Sun is out shining. A little bit hazy though (are factories in China doing overtime?!).
    Not so windy as it has been during the past week. All in all looks like a nice tennis playing day.
    It is a shame i need to get to office and park my backside on a chair for considerable hours. However, if it is a light working day, i might take the afternoon off to go and play tennis.

The usual eggs and veggies omlette for breakfast. Having lost decent weight and the lean, muscular (always hidden) look is starting to be noticed in the elevators, lobbies, cafeterias and at the desks. One guy has commented that i have joined a cult and no amount of "scientific" study was going to convince me (about whole grains, the pyramid, cholestrol, etc). chuckle. Couple of guys are getting more interested and are asking me suggestions for meals, etc.
    One coworker warned me that people known to her went on similar diet and ended up putting the weight back on when they went back to eating "normal".

Life is getting a bit more interesting now!
    Few but ripe.

I did manage to sneak out afternoon to play tennis. Won 7-5 3-6 7-5. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon. Today looks much the same.

I am reading Oliver Sacks' "The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat". Full of amazing accounts. How fragile and complex this human body is!
    Few but ripe.

Up at 6.
    Cold, grey morning. Have a tennis duel at 7:30. This guy is a tough pusher, runs down a lot of balls. I have to take my chances and play more aggressive than usual.

No breakfast. Not hungry at all. I will carry an apple as a mid-game snack. Gotta step into shower (yes, i always take a warm shower before my games. works for me.).
    Few but ripe.

Did not play very well. The scores were tied at 6-7 5-2 when we ran out of court time.

It is weekend and it is time to don the creative chef hat. Stuffed capsicum. Stuffing is a mix of steamed, mashed parsnip and lotus root with eggs. I was full after gorging one of them.

Few but ripe.

joan is offline Senior Member
    yum! i like your meal ideas... i wonder if i could get the kids i live with to grate veggies, they love to help me cook. i always fail at making omelettes, and i think if the veggies were grated it would be easier.

how's the family reacting to your 'no couch' idea? i haven't had a couch in over a year. in fact, i just got a bed a few months ago, before that i shared a cot with my dog for the growing season. it definitely makes life different. when my feet stop hurting from work, i'll start squatting instead of sitting on my bed. also, yay no tv!! do you have any other primal lifestyle ideas so far?

Joan, looking at your blog and your journal, you are way more primal than me. I live in a big city and i am an "office worker".

I am trying to walk a lot more. I like your idea of building things. There is a bit of hilly area decent hike away, may be i will hike to that place in the weekends and try and build a shrine or something (a stone art work, if you will). Lifting heavy stones and logs with a purpose is a whole different ball game compared to lifting barbells in the gym.

I think i will face a lot of opposition on the couch front. My TV suggestion have been well bought by the family. No one really remembers it even existed.
    I personally think that simply cutting down on possessions is a good idea. We (my family) tend to accumulate way too many things. Things that are really not necessary and we can live well without. Every month, i am going to set aside a day to do an "inspection" of the house and weed out things.
    There is going to be minor skirmishes with my good lady, for sure. I can imagine what a quizzical look at a pair of shoe or a handbag will trigger. But hey, you have start at some place.
    Last edited by 70in2012; 12-31-2011 at 09:49 PM.
    Few but ripe.

Beautiful day to usher in the new year. Honestly, i am not a big "new year" person. I was asleep by 10 pm last night.
    Played an hour of tennis in the morning. Won 6-2 6-2. Felt pretty good. My timing was spot on. I had springs under my feet!

Cooked breakfast for the family. A sort of pancake with parsnips, strawberries, grated fresh coconut and eggs. My son loved it. Check my blog for pics.

And i have been hesitant in posting photos. Here is my 8 weeks "improvement" photo. I seriously need to get new clothes.
    Last edited by 70in2012; 09-23-2012 at 04:42 AM.
    Few but ripe.

joan is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    nice!!! you clearly lost a lot of weight! also, i love building shrines in nature, the way you describe it - i'll use anything, sticks, drawings in soil, leaves, nuts, stones, logs... just to show some love for the land, and maybe to bring enjoyment to others - but they're like mandalas for me - not meant to be preserved as a static reality, but left to be devoured by nature at its own pace. it's a fun practice for me, and i look forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast