Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull ups - advice please page

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member

Pull ups - advice please

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone....I'm new to PB and have been lurking around the boards for a few days, so now for my first question.

Diet is going well, but I need to start doing some heavy lifting. Problem is that I hate the gym and really don't want to join one. I know that there are lots of bodyweight alternatives and I can work out at home, but the only problem seems to be around pull ups....I don't have a pull up bar, or anywhere I could put one in my house. Are there any alternative exercises I could do?

Cheers

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    The pull-up is an essential movement, in my opinion - especially if you aren't going to lift weights/use gym machines. You can get creative with where you do them though. Check this out: Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! Scaffold Pull-ups
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    Hi everyone....I'm new to PB and have been lurking around the boards for a few days, so now for my first question.

Diet is going well, but I need to start doing some heavy lifting. Problem is that I hate the gym and really don't want to join one. I know that there are lots of bodyweight alternatives and I can work out at home, but the only problem seems to be around pull ups....I don't have a pull up bar, or anywhere I could put one in my house. Are there any alternative exercises I could do?

Cheers
    In the infamous words of Randy Couture's crappy attempt at a home-fitness machine: "YOU GOT A DOOR!? YOU GOT A GYM!"

There are inexpensive pull-up bars that stretch sideways between door frames (much like the bars used to put up curtains in a bathroom) problem solved. You've no idea what the simple pull-up can do for you, do not neglect it or look for ways around it. There is no alternative that does the same for you, none. Besides, with the bar I mentioned you can move it up and down the door and do a myriad of other exercises: australian pull ups, straight bar dips, tricep extensions (think inverted "skull crushers"), muscle-ups, front and back levers (and the progression steps required to get there), etc.

Here,

Amazon.com: JFit Deluxe Doorway Pull-Up Bar: Sports & Outdoors

Don't buy that one (too expensive) but the picture is a good one, like I said, it doesn't have to just be at the top, move it up and down for more exercise possibilities.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    You need a pullup bar, and then you can attach some rings to it, and you've got a great, great workout spot. Do not try to talk yourself out of doing pullups.

Iron Gym Extreme Total Upper Body Workout Bar - product summary - Bing Shopping
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

wesrman is offline Member
    Find a tree with a low limb, or go to a school and use the playground.
    Character is both developed and revealed by tests, and all of life is a test.
    -Rick Warren

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
    Find a tree with a low limb, or go to a school and use the playground.
    My favorite gyms. Free, and you only have to swat kids away to get your reps in. Added bonus, kids make free added resistance, though some people find that "creepy." Silly people.

critta is offline Senior Member
    Several time my playground workouts have attracted kids who came over and started barking exercises to me. It was actually quite fun. It worked really well because they were trying to throw enough stuff at me to give me something I couldn't do.

wesrman is offline Member
    For anyone looking for info on bodyweight exercise i highly recommend Never Gymless by Ross Enamait. All of his stuff is top notch.

RossTraining.com - Never Gymless
    Character is both developed and revealed by tests, and all of life is a test.
    -Rick Warren

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by critta View Post
    Several time my playground workouts have attracted kids who came over and started barking exercises to me. It was actually quite fun. It worked really well because they were trying to throw enough stuff at me to give me something I couldn't do.
    Lol, I've had that happen too. I also like when they join in and start trying to do what I'm doing. Kids are cool.

...just gotta stay wary of the "creepiness factor" that iniQuity mentioned!

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    You need a pullup bar, and then you can attach some rings to it, and you've got a great, great workout spot. Do not try to talk yourself out of doing pullups.
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    There is no alternative that does the same for you, none.
    +1. Pullups are one of the best and most beneficial exercises you can do, and if you ever progress with them to the point of doing muscleups then you're set. The muscleup is, IMO, the single best upper body exercise ever. It all starts with the pullup though, and no solid fitness routine should be without!
    Last edited by ciep; 12-12-2011 at 07:55 AM.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Cheers for the advice guys. I don't want to wimp out, and I'm getting that pull ups are super important. Not sure I'm brave enough to attempt pull ups in a public park....my upper body strength is pretty rubbish just now. The issue with my doors is that they're not very solid and the walls are mostly flimsy partition walls so I have grave doubts that a pull up bar will take my weight and not bring half of the doorframe/wall down. I'm wondering whether a TRX type system might do the trick instead?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast