Thread: Rice Milk and Phytic Acid page

Rice Milk and Phytic Acid

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If I made my own rice milk, with brown rice, or if I bought some, a good organic brand with ingredients I am comfortable with of course, would it contain a significant amount of phytic acid? I know a good amount of phytic acid is supposedly effected by water but does the water just leach it or does the water break down the phytic acid? Also, doesn't rice milk require hours of boiling or am I wrong about that, as that would probably destroy a significant amount of the phytic acid. And then the result is filtered so a large amount of the bran would probably be filtered out. Thank you for anyone who has any advice or has tried to help.

liyatle is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoretsg3984 View Post
    If I made my own rice milk, with brown rice, or if I bought some, a good organic brand with ingredients I am comfortable with of course, would it contain a significant amount of phytic acid? I know a good amount of phytic acid is supposedly effected by water but does the water just leach it or does the water break down the phytic acid? Also, doesn't rice milk require hours of boiling or am I wrong about that, as that would probably destroy a significant amount of the phytic acid. And then the result is filtered so a large amount of the bran would probably be filtered out. Thank you for anyone who has any advice or has tried to help.

I don't know the credibility of this source, but according to this boiling a foodstuff with phytic acid will not only do nothing to the phytic acid content, but also destroy the phytase content, which negates the effects of phytic acid. Brown rice is really high in phyric acid. Why not try a different rice? Other rice types have very little phytic acid in them.

Living With Phytic Acid - Weston A Price Foundation