Thread: Beef, Chicken, and Lamb Bone Broth? page

Beef, Chicken, and Lamb Bone Broth?

Primal Fuel
    I am making my first attempt at bone broth. I threw together some bones from a chicken that I had roasted, some lamb marrow bones, and a grass-fed beef knuckle (both from Wellness meats). I covered them with water in the crockpot and added a little bit of apple cider vinegar.

My biggest concern is that I haven't been able to find much information on using different types of meat bones in the same broth. Does anyone have any experience doing this?

shmee is offline Senior Member
    Cooking with Bones | Mark's Daily Apple

I was looking for the same thing earlier. I'm currently 5 hours into my first bone broth. Its smelling very yummy! One thing I noticed though, and I'm not sure if its because its grass fed, but I didn't get any of that frothy scum that they tell you to scoop off the top. And I"ve been watching it, it just never showed up.

Looking forward to sipping on a hot cuppa this stuff this week!
    Start Weight: 265.8
    Current Weight: 234.4
    Leptin Reset started Jan 1, 2014

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by shmee View Post
    Cooking with Bones | Mark's Daily Apple

One thing I noticed though, and I'm not sure if its because its grass fed, but I didn't get any of that frothy scum that they tell you to scoop off the top. And I"ve been watching it, it just never showed up.
    It is indeed due to being grassfed. I just finished watching this video and reading the transcript on this Weston A Price posting on stocks & broths a few minutes ago and it said indeed that grass fed bones produce little or no such scum.

Stocks and Soups Video by Sarah Pope - Weston A Price Foundation