Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Clean" bacon? page

Witchy is offline Member

"Clean" bacon?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I love how all the "natural" bacon still uses nitrates/nitrites, they just come from "celery juice" or "celery powder." In unregulated amounts, from what I can garner.

So here's my question: if I'm eating this type of bacon on a regular basis (organic, uncured, but still containing celery juice/powder), am I going to end up doing myself a disservice?

And also: has anyone found a mythical bacon that doesn't contain that stuff? I've checked Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, and my local butcher just tells me his bacon is "natural", which for $6.99/lb he can stuff where the sun don't shine (if you can't tell me what's in it, don't charge me a premium for it). Where can I find cleaner bacon?
    ~Kai

Visit me at Primal Cauldron for recipes and progress updates.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    We grow our own. Four pigs worth this year. Best damn bacon, ever.

We don't sell, and the folks we work with on the piglet side sell all their output directly to a handful of premium restaurants. Best advice I can offer is to make friends out in the country - eventually you'll find someone who can hook you up. And expect to buy a year's worth in one shot, in the fall, so get a big freezer.

(I'm assuming you're looking for free range pork)

Witchy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    We grow our own. Four pigs worth this year. Best damn bacon, ever.

We don't sell, and the folks we work with on the piglet side sell all their output directly to a handful of premium restaurants. Best advice I can offer is to make friends out in the country - eventually you'll find someone who can hook you up. And expect to buy a year's worth in one shot, in the fall, so get a big freezer.

(I'm assuming you're looking for free range pork)
    Yes, well. I'm now both utterly jealous of your home-grown pig and devastated by my own meager living conditions. Unfortunately, I rent a studio apartment and not only is the freezer on the smaller size of standard, but I can't put in a chest freezer. So buying a year's worth of porky goodness is unfortunately not in the cards. I'm going to be making an(other) international move in a couple years, and then with two incomes I hope to be able to afford an actual home and an actual kitchen, with all the proper accouterments. Until then, porcine utopia (and dreams of buying half a cow) are unfortunately just dreams.

What I'm hoping for right now is just something available commercially that I can purchase locally or have shipped in.
    ~Kai

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    You got me. When you find a reasonable supplier, I'll be thrilled to know as well. The sodium nitrite gives me a brutal migraine for 3 days.

I've tried to get that cut of meat clean with nothing in it (don't bother - it just tastes "grey"), and I don't have the time lately to try curing it myself, though I've heard it's pretty simple.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    An alternative is to get the whole pork belly directly from a local butcher or free range meat purveyor, and make your own. It's really not that hard. Half a belly should fit comfortaby into a standard fridge-freezer. In my area we also have "underground" smoke houses used for First Nations salmon trade, that could be an option.

Unfortunately I know of no store-bought packaged bacon that comes anywhere close to being the Real Deal.
    Last edited by DeeDub; 12-11-2011 at 03:50 PM.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Jones Dairy sells nitrite-free sausages, but not bacon. You may have some luck at the farmers markets. The meat vendors have caught onto the Paleo/Primal terminology, so I've seen a lot of signs which say "nitrite free."
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Jones Dairy sells nitrite-free sausages, but not bacon. You may have some luck at the farmers markets. The meat vendors have caught onto the Paleo/Primal terminology, so I've seen a lot of signs which say "nitrite free."
    You just have to be very careful with the whole "nitrite free" thing because they sometimes contain celery salt or celery juice as an alternative preservative, and it's the same thing to your body. A quick read of the label, or asking the vendor if they have added it should let you know very easily, though.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I get this stuff: Natural Sunday Bacon I think it's the best thing you can get that's not "fresh" from the butcher.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Witchy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Yeah, I've had good luck finding crap-free sausages and hotdogs, etc, but not bacon. There's one artisinal charcuterie guy at my farmer's market, but when I asked him he did say he uses celery salt, so unfortunately that's a no go (and at $17/lb, ouch). I might as well stick to the $2.99/lb celery juice bacon from Trader Joe's.
    ~Kai

Witchy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I get this stuff: Natural Sunday Bacon I think it's the best thing you can get that's not "fresh" from the butcher.
    Unfortunately, that still has celery powder. The butcher uses the same stuff.
    ~Kai

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast