Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate and coffee - legumes? page

chronyx is offline Senior Member

Chocolate and coffee - legumes?

Shop Now
    Alright folks, just a quick question.

If legumes/beans are not recommended, how do coffee and chocolate fit in? I love them, so I won't stop consuming them regardless but I just wondered.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    You know, that's a good question, and a rather obvious one...can't believe I didn't think of it before. Perhaps the processing involved mitigates the negative factors associated with the legume?

Hope so!

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Id say that its a matter of qty consumed and the trade off between bad aspects and good aspects.

Mark recently talked about green beans, and discussed how different legumes lie on a spectrum. Some are really bad offenders. Some offer a few benefits, but have some downsides to.

You dont need either of these to be healthy. Howver there are a number of benefits they offer.

In term of the downsides of legumes, I dont know how processing affects it, but just think about the qtys you are consuming. Two teaspoons of coffee is not the same as a mug full of peanuts.

the only downside to dark chocolate I have found is the phytic acid but by having a couple of squres of dark choc, or a couple of teaspoons of cocoa, your not going to give you body anything big to worry about. A healthy body is quite capable, and to some extent expects to have to deal with impurities and imperfections in our food.

My two cents!
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Nice one, I wasn't worried (Gotta have some vices right?) just curious!

Cheers mate!

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Neither one of them are legumes. Neither are vanilla beans.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I believe coffee and cocoa beans are both actually seeds. They are both fermented during their processing as well, which should reduce the anti-nutrients in them. I have read that a lot of coffee beans are contaminated with molds that are not great to consume - not sure how true it is.

I feel both should be kept to a limited part of the diet. I have coffee once or twice per week, but I eat chocolate every day. I'm trying to cut back, but dang it's hard!!

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    lets call them a fruit lol
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to call them a dark green veg in the superfood category. Kale, swiss chard, collards, flourless chocolate cake, and espresso...
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    coffee and cocoa are extremely high in phytic acid...which is actually bad.
    Cocoa, being high in iron, also high in phytic acid which binds with iron, is kind of ironic.
    But, I've read that there are other, multiple anti-oxidant properties to dark chocolate that are actually beneficial if not over used...because lodaing up on phytic acid daily is probably not a good idea.
    That's why Mark says to use it occassionally, as an indulgence, not as a daily snack to beat sugar cravings.

Coffee every day? I wouldn't recommend it. Once in awhile at a get-together, sure. Coffee irritates the gut and causes ulcers, the #1 reason for columbians having stomach cancer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast