Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anything to the A2 milk thing? page

jammies is offline Senior Member

Anything to the A2 milk thing?

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone;

I recently gave up the tiny remaining bits of dairy in my diet and feel significantly better for it. I had a bad dairy allergy as a child, so I guess my body just doesn't like dairy associated proteins. For me it causes joint stiffness and very bad fatigue.

I have read many times that some people that don't do well on dairy products can handle dairy from A2 animals.

Is there anyone here who actually had success switching to an A2 source of dairy and then feeling fine eating it? I would love the add heavy cream back in to my diet - it is just sooo fricking good

Thanks!!!

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Raw is best. And yes, stay away from A1, Holstein cows, the black and white ones.

I'm not lactose intolerant, had a test done. Switched to raw goats milk (which is A2 casein) and still experienced bloating and discomfort. I feel fine on small amounts though...but ever since cutting out dairy completely, I've lost the extra bit of flab around my waist, total of 8 lbs....like I've lost an extra set of skin.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    What is A1 and A2 dairy?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    It is a change in one amino acid in beta-casein the main protein in milk. There are a lot of problems associated with A1 which is found in most Western Cows milk.
    Goat milk tends to contain A2 a much healthier option.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    What is A1 and A2 dairy?
    Milk is composed of several types of proteins. A major one is casein. Apparently old world cows contained a type of casein protein that was known as A2. At some point there was a mutation in this protein which is referred to now as A1. I had read that A1 casein is more inflammatory and not healthy.

I have NO idea if any of this is true. I'm just looking for a way to have heavy cream in my diet!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    It is a change in one amino acid in beta-casein the main protein in milk. There are a lot of problems associated with A1 which is found in most Western Cows milk.
    Goat milk tends to contain A2 a much healthier option.
    I try so very hard, but I have accepted that I simply HATE goats milk. Plus what I really want is cream, which you can't get from goat milk easily anyway. Thanks though!!

I've been doing a little searching and I am not sure I can find A2 milk here anyway.

I did try making bullet-proof coffee today with homemade toasted ghee and it was delicious. I'll try it next with tea. Maybe I can learn to live with out cream

Does sheeps milk have cream?

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Why do you worry about A1 A2 in cream? Cream has negligible protein of any kind. Its just fat.
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    Why do you worry about A1 A2 in cream? Cream has negligible protein of any kind. Its just fat.
    From an immunoolgic viewpoint, that's not true - while it does contain about ten times less protein than milk, it is still more than enough to trigger inflammation in sensitive people. Even butter has plenty of protein left in it to react to.

I gave up all dairy except cream and butter when I went primal. I felt better, but not great. It wasn't until I was encouraged to get rid of the cream and butter that I really felt an increase in energy. I make my own grass-fed ghee now and there really is a lot of milk solids/protein that i strain out.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have found that for me raw dairy products actually have an anti-inflammatory effect. My understanding is that it depends on if your allergy is to the lactose or to the casein (or both). If it is just the lactose, raw dairy works great. If it is the casein, it may still give you problems.

Maybe worth a try if you can't find A2.

Several other people chimed in with anti-inflammatory experiences with raw dairy on this thread.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread42037.html
    Last edited by Paleobird; 12-11-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast