Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anything to the A2 milk thing? page 3

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Some more links on beta casomorphin 7 (BCM7) for those interested in the A1/A2 milk story.
    The paleoHacks has some additional links in their discussion and Keith Woodfords blog has more follow up info since his book came out, particularly the stuff regarding SIDS

Natural Bias » A1 Beta Casein: The Devil in Your Milk
    Musings: A1 Beta Casein
    BCM7 and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome | Posts from Keith Woodford
    A2 or A1 beta casein; legitimate or marketing ploy? - PaleoHacks.com

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    This thread has made me laugh. My MIL Nana L is always going on about A1 and A2 milk. She is usually drunk as a wee skunk so I don't take any notice. Anyway she would argue with the cat if it disagreed with her A2 milk theory.
    I think that I might need to listen to her theory next time she yodels !!!!! LOL
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Timthetaco Guest
    I have no opinion on the matter since I don't even like milk, but I snipped this off Facebook one day. Not sure if it's entirely relevant to the discussion you all are having since I didn't read the thread. You can find the whole conversation linked from paleodrama.

I <3 Mat Lalonde

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    Cow's milk products make my daughter and I very sick, very quickly. We can both eat goat and sheep's milk products. Sheep's milk is better than goat's.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I have no opinion on the matter since I don't even like milk, but I snipped this off Facebook one day. Not sure if it's entirely relevant to the discussion you all are having since I didn't read the thread. You can find the whole conversation linked from paleodrama.

I <3 Mat Lalonde
    Wow - that is super interesting. Thanks for sharing!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Timthetaco Guest

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    I don't care if the casein is A1 or A2; if the domestic cow in the US is fed GMO grain its entire life while being pumped full of hormones, I'd much rather prefer the carefree NZ cow milk than its American counterpart.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Had a look at the link, it is a variety of people posting oposing views on the topic , there is no consensus.

Her's a couple more links:
    European Journal of Clinical Nutrition - The A2 milk case: a critical review
    European Journal of nutrition, there are a few things to note here, presented as a review piece to say there was no evidence of any benefit in A2 vs A1, single author from Sydney Uni,
    The A1/A2 milk hypothesis was ingenious
    Not really scientific language is it?, what do they call that poising the pot.

This review has been independent of examination of evidence related to A1 and A2 milk by the Australian and New Zealand food standard and food safety authorities, which have not published the evidence they have examined and the analysis of it. They stated in 2003 that no relationship has been established between A1 or A2 milk and diabetes, CHD or other diseases.
    Now why do you think they didn't publish their data if their conclusions are rock solid, wouldn't that have cleared up this question?

However, Professor Jeremy Pearson, from the British Heart Foundation, said that the advantage, if any, would probably only be slight. He said 'I think there would be far more effect on the incidence of heart disease from switching from full fat to semi skimmed rather than from switching from A1 to A2'.
    That's appeal to authority isn't it, and whats more it's the good old low fat authority?, so the author is obviously not that well researched as he would know that the saturated fat issue is all but dead.

On the face of it the review looks quite comprehensive, but anyone who has done time trying to digest cholesterol and saturated fat studies will see the holes coming through, he goes on to cite a lot of studies that showed higher milk consumption was corrolated to lower CHD, firstly there is the issue that it may actually be an increased saturated fat intake actually, and secondly how is it relevant, the question was is A2 healthier than A1, not whether milk was healthy or not. Though this little detail may be an indicator of his source of inspiration, could it be that the dairy industry was at the forefront of his thinking and if so why?

You can easily seek out info on BCM7, but here's a link from NZ grazers assoc that tells a bit:
    New Zealand Grazing Co Ltd
    The mainstream industry has claimed that it is a non issue. And this stance was supported by the NZ Food Safety Authority’s claim that Professor Boyd Swinburn’s 2004 Report to them on A1 and A2 milk said that all milk was safe.

In fact Professor Swinburn said nothing of the sort. What his Lay Summary did say, amongst other things, was that ‘changing dairy herds to more A2 producing cows may significantly improve human health’.

However, the NZFSA successfully suppressed the publication of this Lay Summary until I sought and obtained its release under the Official Information Act.
    That was the unpublished data from the other link, I think it speaks loudly enough as to who may be pulling the strings.

Here's a presentation at a General Practitioners (doctors) conference, where he speaks regularly and is obviously invited to do so.
    http://keithwoodford.files.wordpress...011-final1.pdf
    Not really holding back, still sticking to his line re the health issues and mentions that about 500 NZ farmers are just quietly swinging their herds to A2.

and his blog
    The Veil Comes Down on NZFSU | Posts from Keith Woodford

Now this guy is still holding to his conclusions and has yet to be challenged by the industry, surely they have had their legal teams run through the data to try to see if they can shut him up, but somehow they remain suspiciously quiet.

I do understand that a lot of the studies show corrolation and not causation, but there is more data coming out every year pointing in the same direction and on the face of the wheat/gluten story which looks like it's just about ready to explode, it looks like A1 beta Caesin is the sister iceberg, and seing as just about everyone in the western world was raised on a healthy breakfast of A1 Milk and Cereal, seems like the perfect combination for the current state of health.

Bet you can't guess which one is in Human Breast Milk????

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123