Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anything to the A2 milk thing? page 2

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I have found that for me raw dairy products actually have an anti-inflammatory effect. My understanding is that it depends on if your allergy is to the lactose or to the casein (or both). If it is just the lactose, raw dairy works great. If it is the casein, it may still give you problems.

Maybe worth a try if you can't find A2.

Several other people chimed in with anti-inflammatory experiences with raw dairy on this thread.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread42037.html
    Raw cream tastes like heaven. I think for me it is the casein, but maybe I'll give it a try again - it's been years since I've had it. Thanks!

springnr is offline Senior Member

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    They sell A2 products in the supermarkets here. I think I'm one of those that struggle with milk regardless, so I quit dairy 2 days ago. Feeling okay, but like you I miss cream. And cheese.

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    I used to drink milk in my coffee every day. Every day I would wake up throwing up (like morning sickness) many drs visits later I discovered it was the milk. The minute I switched to black coffee it went away. When A2 milk came on the market I tried introducing that and it was fine. No vomitting, no nausea no matter how much I drink. I don't really drink milk now but I always buy A2 for the children.
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Anyone know where to get A2 milk in Edmonton Canada?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I find I'm fine with goats dairy protein, but not with cow's, which gives me eczema and chronic cattarh and can cause diarrhoea if I eat it for several consecutive days.

I'm not bothering using goats milk though - I'm happy drinking my tea and coffee black. I feel much healthier now that I rarely consume calories between meals.

I believe that drinking milk in hot drinks without any accompanying food is liable to cause a greater allergic reaction to casein than if the same amount of milk was used within a large meal, because the stomach acid and digestive juices won't be fully activated by a smallish serving of milk, hence the casein will arrive in the gut less broken-down and therefore more inflammatory. It's just a theory.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Paleobird Guest

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Bringing one back from the dead,
    Just stumbled on this distinction, we got A2 milk on the shelves a few years back, i just ignored it as another fortified, fat manipulated marketing variant.
    There seems to be a bit of a connection forming in a lot of the Chronic disease anomolies with this distinction, one of the ones comes to mind is the French paradox, they consume a lot of dairy, but most of their herd is Guernsey or Jersey types which are predomonantly the A2 variant and likewise with the Masai cattle being A2, was this already mentioned, oh well, for those that haven't been here.
    I just did a post on an MS site and this distinction seems to also fit the bill with dairy being a contributing factor, but particularly the A1 variant.
    I don't do much dairy anyway, but like looking at puzzles, partner is autoimmune thyroid, but she's on the way into remission, so all good there. Have some MS friends, hence the interest.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    Why do you worry about A1 A2 in cream? Cream has negligible protein of any kind. Its just fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    From an immunoolgic viewpoint, that's not true - while it does contain about ten times less protein than milk, it is still more than enough to trigger inflammation in sensitive people. Even butter has plenty of protein left in it to react to.

I gave up all dairy except cream and butter when I went primal. I felt better, but not great. It wasn't until I was encouraged to get rid of the cream and butter that I really felt an increase in energy. I make my own grass-fed ghee now and there really is a lot of milk solids/protein that i strain out.
    Yup. If you take one pound of butter and put it in a saucepot, melt under gentle-ish heat, and just keep the heat going, you will soon see how many solids are in just one pound of the stuff. It comes up as foam, and then settles to the bottom.

My daughter is allergic to the protein portion in dairy, and she reacts to butter as well. Properly made ghee elicits no reaction, but as I didn't discover ghee until this daughter had been dairy free for long years, she hates the taste.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    If you don't like goats milk, you're probably trying it from the store. Um, store goats milk tastes like a billy goat. Don't drink. Try finding a source for fresh goats milk before making a decision.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast