Thread: Question about protein page

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member

Question about protein

Primal Fuel
    Okay, I'm seriously wondering if I'm slow on the uptake or something. I just can't seem to get a straight answer on this, so PLEASE chime in if you're sure you know the deal here:

If I buy, for example, an 8 oz chicken breast from Whole Foods, let's say the label says for 1 oz there are 35 calories and 6 grams of protein. Does that mean that the piece I have in my hand, which is 8 oz RAW, has 280 calories and 48 grams of protein?

OR

Does it contain 35 calories and 6 grams of protein cooked- meaning that it is actually more like a 5 or 6 oz serving?

I cannot figure this out.

karatepig is offline Member
    Waaaaay too much counting my friend. Eat as much as it takes to satisfy you, and ensure that there are no added ingredients in that chicken. Don't worry, be happy!

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    While I agree with karatepig, it's not that hard of a question.

If you look on nutridiary and similar, they will give calories and weights for all sorts of variations. Cooked no oil, cooked with skin and fat, raw, bone in, boneless, whatever.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buoy1 View Post

If I buy, for example, an 8 oz chicken breast from Whole Foods, let's say the label says for 1 oz there are 35 calories and 6 grams of protein. Does that mean that the piece I have in my hand, which is 8 oz RAW, has 280 calories and 48 grams of protein?
    Yes

Alainneire is offline Senior Member
    jammies is right - the weight lost during cooking is usually water - nutrients levels may change slightly if adding fat etc... to the cooking process, but the basic nutrient content stays the same

Fury is offline Senior Member
    Ideally, meats should always be raw when weighed/measured, as differences in cooking method, temperature, length, etc... will lead to different amounts of lost water & rendered fat which can throw off the numbers, figures for raw meats leave less room for error.

That 8oz (225g) of raw chicken has 48g protein (~21%). Grill that raw chicken and it'll shrink by ~25% or so, reducing its weight to 6oz (168g) but with the same 48g of protein (~28.5%)

If you must weigh/portion out already cooked meat figures for various cuts & cooking methods can be found online.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Yup, dont be confused by lost water weight.
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Got it! Thanks.

I am trying to get away from measuring and counting, but wanted to know for sure how much protein I am getting.

Thanks again.