Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Soap or Shampoo page

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member

No Soap or Shampoo

Shop Now
    Has anyone out there cut out soap and shampoo from their life and are just showering using water only?

I havn't used any soap or shampoo for MONTHS and the other day i hoped in my brothers car and he said 'are you wearing a cologne or something?' ... i said 'no'. He said 'you have a scent'.

I took that as a compliment that my 'scent' is as nice smelling.

Any natural smellers out there?

caeliumspecto is offline Junior Member
    Nope. I still use soap.

As a point of interest, do you shower with only water, or do you do something to remove the oil from your body? (Like baby oil and scrapping, ancient greek style.)

I have found I hardly smell when my body pH is in balance and I cut out processed foods. I don't even use deodorant unless I know I smell bad.

I dont know too much about skin I must admit, however I just shower with water.

I feel that the body with naturally regulate oil levels in the skin , etc. I dont know if this is true or not.

Sometimes I use coconut oil as a moisturizer on my face but thats about it... I know others use CO in their hair.

But I have found my hair never goes rough and dry. It remains consistently soft and never over-oily.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I don't use shampoo and haven't for months.
    I still use soap, though it is a hand-made soap from my sister-in-law.

I would love to get my wife off shampoo, but she doesn't want to deal with the transition.

Zelli88 is offline Senior Member
    Late reply, but I only shower on days I workout..And, I only shower in cold showers, to avoid drying my skin and the chemicals in the water.

I use soap when I shower, but not always. In fact, I use soap once a week, and for shampoo, I use ACV. For conditioner, I rub coconut oil in my moist hair and leave it there for a whole day or overnight. My skin is super smooth and no one has ever complained that I smell.

trippplez is offline Member
    I do - male, around 1 inch (2-3 cm) hair.

No shampoo and no soap/shower gel for 2 months now. I scrape my body using luffa sponge (Pic).

According to my girlfriend, my hair is no different than a shampooned one. Regarding the body - I'm quite strict to scrap it with the luffa, especially the armpits, and I think the result is excellent - my lifelong acne-like back problem is literally gone, my face no longer is overly oily.

Regarding the transition period - I think that generally, if a person have quite short hair it's relatively easy. Not quite for the gals (and guys with long hair) though...
    Last edited by trippplez; 03-11-2012 at 07:42 AM.

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozbuckley View Post
    I dont know too much about skin I must admit, however I just shower with water.

I feel that the body with naturally regulate oil levels in the skin , etc. I dont know if this is true or not.
    You are correct. You are referring to the "oil-feedback theory" which was disproved by Kligman in the 1970's, suggesting androgens as the main regulator of sebum output. I wrote a post about it the necessity of soaps and such in my blog.

"As it stands, any evolutionary argument for skin care is relatively inconsequential. From my experience, arguments of this nature possess no professional opinion with only theoretical, over-generalized and simplified assumption, and any self-respecting biologist wouldn’t argue the evolutionary function of Bath & Body Works anyway.

Still, in theoretical over-generalized and simplified assumption (which is all we have), we haven’t evolved any dependence on synthetic hygiene products. From cleansers, toners, moisturizers and so on, it seems hygiene upkeep is a product of western civilized progress. To my knowledge, there is no biological standpoint for hygiene products, and there is no evidence for the opposite. However, Occum’s razor is for the wiser here: dependency on cleansing, toning, moisturizing, hydrating, exfoliating, sterilizing, anti-oxidizing; or autonomous self-regulation of skin health.

Moisturization, hydration and cleansing of the skin is one of the most reliable self-regulating systems. It appears, without worry of any acneic potential, the skin doesn’t need help. Bacterial populations, oil control and so forth can all be farely well-regulated. For skin specifically, an article “40 Days Without a Wash” details one woman who didn’t wash for 40 days and 40 nights. There were only detrimental effects to the woman’s dental hygiene, while her skin actually improved. This idea is complemented by thousands of anecdotal reports of people who forego facial cleansing moisturizing. In these peoples, many hygiene routines, particularly discussing facial cleansing and moisturizing, include nothing more than water.

As reports confirm and hypothesis would predict, if you don’t have acne, you have no reason to cleanse your face with synthetic detergents, oils and so on. You don’t need to cleanse, you don’t need to moisturize. The skin will not smell, become greasy or whither away.

The question then remains, how is the skin care industry thriving with such contradicting information? The same as mentioned before: the western civilized condition and societal perception of cleanliness. This is the only valid argument for skin care’s persisting existence in the western world. Cleansing is not needed to cleanse, and moisturizers and serums are not essential in the absence of cleansing, since moisturizing is far more a compensatory step than a necessitated step. There’s nothing essential about it. Should the pilosebaceous unit be experiencing no malfunction or deficiency of the sebum’s organic molecular makeup, sebum is effective in lubricating and protecting the skin’s moisture content, acidic environment and antioxidant protection."
    Last edited by kcarol; 03-11-2012 at 11:21 PM.

dirk41 is offline Senior Member
    I don't shampoo, but I do use a Dove for Men bar soap. I used to take hot showers with body lotion and shampoo, and my hair and skin would just feel dry for hours right after. Now, my skin is still kinda of dry but better. My hair feels better and I do use some coconut oil which helps as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast