Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbs page

vitor97 is offline Junior Member

Carbs

Primal Fuel
    I am in the Army and have always been a bodybuilder. After a long breakup with a women I was going to Marry and Surgery I stopped exercising as much, just lifted, and pigged out. I got my 6'2 frame up to 239. I have been eating somewhat primal now for 4-5 weeks and I am down to 217ish. A typical day of eating for me is

6am 1 hour of running, cardio or somesort of Army PT
    8am 5 eggs 3-4 peices of bacon Estimate around 500 cals
    1230 8-12oz ribeye onions, bell peppers
    3 ish handfull of almonds,
    7 8-12oz of Steak veggies, chicken or pork

Lately I have been sort of dragging on my runs, I am thinking I need to increase my carbs when I was lifting weights a lot I was always worried about mixing energy (fats and carbs at the same meal).

Right now I am never really hungry but I am feeling it on my runs. I lift weights 3 days a week and try to relax on sundays.

When I lift its is usally at 11am, I was thinking of throwing in 2 apples per day and an occional potato or sweet potato.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Phoenixflame is offline Senior Member
    Do you run every day? A lot of cardio is generally frowned upon amongst the Primal crowd because it isn't that good for you and can increase appetite. If it's something you really, really like, well, ok. Increasing carbs would probably help since you've been at it for around 5 weeks and should be more fat adapted. But if it's only something you do out of habit or because you feel you have to, you might feel better if you compact those long runs into much shorter sprint sessions, or just take a walk. Sprinting I find generally blunts appetite because it wears you out.

caeliumspecto is offline Junior Member
    It definitely sounds like you are burning those carbs. I say go ahead and add the fruit and the sweet potato. (Maybe not the potato since it isn't as nutrient dense.)

Also, you might want to start eating 1-2 pieces of fruit anyway. Lots of good nutrition (or so I'm told, I'm no nutritionist.)

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vitor97 View Post
    Lately I have been sort of dragging on my runs, I am thinking I need to increase my carbs when I was lifting weights a lot I was always worried about mixing energy (fats and carbs at the same meal).
    Nutrition & Metabolism | Full text | Ketogenic diets and physical performance
    Fatty Acid Oxidation
    The oxidation of fatty acids yields significantly more energy per carbon atom than does the oxidation of carbohydrates. The net result of the oxidation of one mole of oleic acid (an 18-carbon fatty acid) will be 146 moles of ATP (2 mole equivalents are used during the activation of the fatty acid), as compared with 114 moles from an equivalent number of glucose carbon atoms.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    The following suggestions could mean a lot more work for you, but this is what I would do:
    Are you in a position to start influencing the morning PT? Pull out a copy of Tabata's research and explain how many benefits there are to doing that once or twice a week. Find some research on recovery days, and make sure the PT training schedule includes them. Push for ruck marches rather than runs to reduce running-related injuries. Become educated and make your case. Most good leadership will give you a chance or two to prove yourself if you volunteer for something.

If that doesn't work, then with your success with losing weight, could you take on the remedial PT program? There could be a lot of opportunity there to get your name out there, if you're looking for career moves.

Yes, you probably need a few more carbs than you are getting, and you seem a bit short on vegetables, especially leafy green ones. Maybe I'm wrong, but you seem to throw in "veggies" as an afterthought. I like leafy greens as salads, or sauteed in bacon grease and chopped garlic. The veggies should take up about the same amount of space (or more) on your plate as the meat.

ChocoTaco said something in his Carb Refeed thread about feeding your body for the work it does that day: If you lift heavy, sprint, or deplete your glycogen stores in some way, feed your body carbs and not so much fat. If you have a day of moving around slowly, or not moving much at all, fuel your body with fat. I understand it's hard to do that in the Army, though. You might take a PT test in the morning, then ruck out (with 60 pounds) to an obstacle course and run that at full speed. Or you might stand on a zero range, walking 25m back and forth all day long. Some days you sit around in the office waiting for something to happen. It's really hard to plan meals around that, as you may need both fat and carbs on a daily basis.

Dave Mayo is offline Senior Member
    Have more veggies with breakfast and see what happens. If you are still dragging, add in sweet potato with your pm meal. Don't worry about mixing carb/fat, your blood has a constant mix of both and eating fat will slow down the rise in blood glucose.

Are those whole eggs you are eating? Are they omega-3 eggs? I would say you are probably low in EFAs if not, which will effect energy metabolism.
    Last edited by Dave Mayo; 12-11-2011 at 07:58 AM.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    There is absolutely no problem with eating carbs and fats at the same meal. Your body will only store fat if you are in a caloric surplus.

lol, this doesn't mean that fat is the best fuel for your body while working out. Alcohol has more calories per gram than carbs as well...maybe people should just drink to fuel their runs. Why don't you put a long distance runner on a ketogenic diet and see how they do.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    There is absolutely no problem with eating carbs and fats at the same meal. Your body will only store fat if you are in a caloric surplus.
    Your body will store energy based on the signaling of the hormone insulin.
    Fatty Acid Oxidation
    In contrast to the hormonal activation of adenylate cyclase and (subsequently) hormone-sensitive lipase in adipocytes, the mobilization of fat from adipose tissue is inhibited by numerous stimuli. The most significant inhibition is that exerted upon adenylate cyclase by insulin. When an individual is in the well fed state, insulin released from the pancreas prevents the inappropriate mobilization of stored fat. Instead, any excess fat and carbohydrate are incorporated into the triacylglycerol pool within adipose tissue.

Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    lol, this doesn't mean that fat is the best fuel for your body while working out.
    Yes it does. You're completely confused trying to count calories. It's ATP that matters, not calories. It's not possible to perform worse on a better fuel, unless your hormonal state prevents you from accessing the better fuel.

Fatty Acid Oxidation
    The oxidation of fatty acids yields significantly more energy per carbon atom than does the oxidation of carbohydrates. The net result of the oxidation of one mole of oleic acid (an 18-carbon fatty acid) will be 146 moles of ATP (2 mole equivalents are used during the activation of the fatty acid), as compared with 114 moles from an equivalent number of glucose carbon atoms.

Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Your body will store energy based on the signaling of the hormone insulin.
    Fatty Acid Oxidation

Yes it does. You're completely confused trying to count calories. It's ATP that matters, not calories. It's not possible to perform worse on a better fuel, unless your hormonal state prevents you from accessing the better fuel.

Fatty Acid Oxidation
    If you are eating maintenance, your body won't store any fat. And even if for some stupid reason it did store fat, it would need to take out other fat stores for energy. So if you are under maintenance you will lose weight regardless of your fat or carb intake.

Also, athletic performance is severely limited on low carb diets because muscle glycogen stores are depleted.

A quote from this study:

Nutrition & Metabolism | Full text | Ketogenic diets and physical performance

Therapeutic use of ketogenic diets should not require constraint of most forms of physical labor or recreational activity, with the one caveat that anaerobic (ie, weight lifting or sprint) performance is limited by the low muscle glycogen levels induced by a ketogenic diet, and this would strongly discourage its use under most conditions of competitive athletics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast