Thread: Isometric Stretching for Flexibility page

kcarol is offline Senior Member

Isometric Stretching for Flexibility

Hey everyone,

I've been reading up on isometric stretching. It seems the best for flexibility, although I've never tried it. I'm trying to get back into ballet right now (former dancer), and need a way to push my flexibility to the next level. IMO a dancer can never be too flexible.

First: Tips? What would a good stretching schedule look like for consistent improvements. Every day? Twice a day?

Second: How much should I emphasize splits, for example, over other stretches meant to increase hip flexibility and so on? Maybe some martial artists in here could help...

Last thing: when it comes to stretching, I'm all about no pain no gain. Until I tore my hamstring and it laid me up for almost a year (we're talking not being able to walk for a few weeks). SO, how much no pain no gain? Don't want that happening again.

Thanks everyone. Some advice would really help--too much confusion on how to produce significant and consistent progress with stretching.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcarol View Post
    Hey everyone,

I've been reading up on isometric stretching. It seems the best for flexibility, although I've never tried it. I'm trying to get back into ballet right now (former dancer), and need a way to push my flexibility to the next level. IMO a dancer can never be too flexible.

First: Tips? What would a good stretching schedule look like for consistent improvements. Every day? Twice a day?

Second: How much should I emphasize splits, for example, over other stretches meant to increase hip flexibility and so on? Maybe some martial artists in here could help...

Last thing: when it comes to stretching, I'm all about no pain no gain. Until I tore my hamstring and it laid me up for almost a year (we're talking not being able to walk for a few weeks). SO, how much no pain no gain? Don't want that happening again.

Thanks everyone. Some advice would really help--too much confusion on how to produce significant and consistent progress with stretching.
    Have you ever taken yoga? I find Ashtanga yoga to be best for increasing flexibility

Clymb is offline Senior Member

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the tip! I will look into it.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    stretching should not hurt. You should feel the stretch, but it shouldn't hurt. Ever.

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "tension" not pain.. I would stretch whatever you need to stretch 2-3 times a day, hold each stretch 3-5 times for at least 30 seconds. Look into autogenic inhibition and reciprocol inhibition proprioceptive neuromuscular stretching too
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009