Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Becoming confused re:starchy tubers + starch/fat page

  1. #1
    Rocco Hill's Avatar
    Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    365

    Becoming confused re:starchy tubers + starch/fat

    Primal Fuel
    I've incorporated alot more starch- in the form of white potatoe, yam, squash and parsnip- over the last few months. I've NEVER been leaner, as it happens, and I feel much more 'complete' with these things. I don't care whether it's trictly Paleo or not, I only care whether it is beneficial or detrimental to my health. I don't truly feel satisfied on low carb/high fat.

    However, there seems to be a lot of contention as to whether we should really be eating moderate to high starch, and there is so much contradictory evidence on the web. What are your views and experiences on this, and also starch plus fat? I love starch and butter, though sometimes it gives me gas. Is it so bad?

  2. #2
    Nady's Avatar
    Nady is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,265
    JMO~ but if you are eating a food in it's natural form, then it can't be wrong~ tubers, roots, greens, fruits, berries, veggies~ all foods that our ancestors would have used to supplement their meat diet.

  3. #3
    sunnie123's Avatar
    sunnie123 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    29
    Just curious, were you in your "never been leaner" state when you started incorporating more starches, or do you think the starches helped you slim down?

  4. #4
    Rocco Hill's Avatar
    Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    JMO~ but if you are eating a food in it's natural form, then it can't be wrong~ tubers, roots, greens, fruits, berries, veggies~ all foods that our ancestors would have used to supplement their meat diet.
    Well, there is significant evidence that tubers were NOT paleo foods. Agriculturists such as the Kitavan eat them like fiends, but the hunter gatherer's apparently would not have eaten them. Though this is not my primary concern- it's whether they are suitable from a health perspective, to eat in large quantities. I think that sometimes we mistake natural for healthy, but we know that balance is the key. So I suppose that I answer my own question here by saying that I should eat them in moderation.

    Quote Originally Posted by sunnie123 View Post
    Just curious, were you in your "never been leaner" state when you started incorporating more starches, or do you think the starches helped you slim down?
    I am 26 male, come from no metabolic derangement's(or obvious one), nor have I ever been significantly overweight; and yes, I was lean and muscular before, but I have become even leaner, in a very noticeable way, since I started eating alot more starch. I have also been eating it with ALOT of butter, sometimes a pack a day, plus quite a bit of milk and bread(both of which i have dropped). I just felt that I had come to the end of my low-ish carb gig, I never felt satisfied and always on the verge of hunger. However, yesterday I had a 6 egg omelette with coconut and was totally satiated, but I believe this is not really for me long term.

    So I am led to believe that the starches have helped me become even leaner, yes. I am eating more calories now than I was. I am also eating less green leaves, and my vegetable intake is mostly squash, potato, parsnip, carrot and some cabbage, all local and organic(I only import coconut).

  5. #5
    Apex Predator's Avatar
    Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post
    Well, there is significant evidence that tubers were NOT paleo foods. Agriculturists such as the Kitavan eat them like fiends, but the hunter gatherer's apparently would not have eaten them. Though this is not my primary concern- it's whether they are suitable from a health perspective, to eat in large quantities. I think that sometimes we mistake natural for healthy, but we know that balance is the key. So I suppose that I answer my own question here by saying that I should eat them in moderation.



    I am 26 male, come from no metabolic derangement's(or obvious one), nor have I ever been significantly overweight; and yes, I was lean and muscular before, but I have become even leaner, in a very noticeable way, since I started eating alot more starch. I have also been eating it with ALOT of butter, sometimes a pack a day, plus quite a bit of milk and bread(both of which i have dropped). I just felt that I had come to the end of my low-ish carb gig, I never felt satisfied and always on the verge of hunger. However, yesterday I had a 6 egg omelette with coconut and was totally satiated, but I believe this is not really for me long term.

    So I am led to believe that the starches have helped me become even leaner, yes. I am eating more calories now than I was. I am also eating less green leaves, and my vegetable intake is mostly squash, potato, parsnip, carrot and some cabbage, all local and organic(I only import coconut).
    I had a similar experience(though I was overweight at one point). I see no reason not to eat them if you are metabolically healthy.

  6. #6
    tfarny's Avatar
    tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,478
    Who says not to eat starchy tubers? Not Mark. Very Low Carb is a specific weight loss strategy, not a general health recommendation from Mark or any of the other major paleo type bloggers. If you are not trying to lose weight, eat as many damn parsnips as you want!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •