Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chronic Cardio Increases Life Expectancy page

G-Man is offline Junior Member

Chronic Cardio Increases Life Expectancy

Primal Fuel
    Mark,

I loved your book, and I think you're doing a great job. Your take on chronic cardio has always left me scratching my head, though. I'm curious what research you have found that suggests this is bad for you?

Also, how do you reconcile this study (link below) that showed that 834 former Tour de France cyclists (clearly they were in the chronic cardio crowd) outlived their peers by 8 years on average!!

Thanks!

Increased average longevity among the "Tour... [Int J Sports Med. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
    Last edited by G-Man; 12-09-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    It wasn't chronic cardio that made the difference. It was the grain-free diet.

... wait a minute.

No...this is comparing TdF athletes with the average person of the same era. They all presumably ate the same diet.

peril is offline Senior Member
    The essential flaw in the conclusion is that no account can be taken for the differences in genetics between the compared groups. Elite athletes will on average have a genetic disposition to athletic success, which requires good health. At better comparison would be between non-elite practitioners of chronic cardio and the general population.

Another study for the journal of pointless studies
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

How's this study then?

Chakravart EF et al, Reduced disability and mortality among aging runners: a 21-year longitudinal study. Arch Intern MEd. 2008 Aug 11;168(15):1683-46. They compared 538 runners to healthy control group with an average age of 50. After adjusting for other risk factors they concluded that "Vigorous exercise (running) at middle and older ages is associated with reduced disability in later life and a notable survival advantage.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Was the control group healthy yet sedentary?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Did they confirm no dietary differences between the two groups? These observational studies merely establish a correlation. They can't establish cause
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

There are no studies in the world that can definitively determine causation.

But, my original question remains...what studies are there that show that chronic cardio is bad? We now have 2 that show some evidence that it could be correlated with being good... (though causation is and will remain inconclusive)

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    I would be curious though to see a study that compares 'vigorous exercise' (running) to just being generally active/hiking/lifting weights/etc. Because I have long held that the use it or lose it theory is VERY true to aging people and animals. It seem like when I see older folks that still get out and DO stuff they stay fit and healthy enough to go do things. BBut if they retire and plop down on their butts and quit doing things the all of a sudden they get old and decrepit and have less reserves of health and fitness. So then they get sick or fall down and break a hip and then they die. But I also know some 80+ year old folks who eat a 'healthy' diet (not primal but not SAD) and go out hiking (and I live in a place where hiking trails start at 8000-9000 feet and go steeply up from there) and do stuff and they are in great shape and I only hope I'm that healthy at that age!

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    Exactly. The study does not quantify how much running. And I'll bet it isn't chronic cardio.
    There are many examples of otherwise healthy individuals dropping dead during marathons and triathalons. If you watch the news or set your google alerts (or read Art Devaney's blog), it's enough to scare me away from marathons.

" BBut if they retire and plop down on their butts and quit doing things the all of a sudden they get old and decrepit and have less reserves of health and fitness. So then they get sick or fall down and break a hip and then they die."

Well said. I work for a cardiac speacialy home health agency and ofter wonder just how many of our (obese, diabetic, congestive heart failure etc etc) patients would have eaten paleo style and keeping fit by walking and "getting under a bar" (weightlifting). And I wonder further how many of them could behelped by starting even at the stage they are at. But the docs all prescribe low fat, low salt, low cholesterol diets. Because that's the standard.

It's like I heard in nursing school "move or die". And if there's anything that keeps me motivated, it's being exposed to our patients every day.

Oh, and the average lifespan after a broken hip in the elderly? 18 months.
    Last edited by Dave RN; 12-09-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast