Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My Diabetes counselor does not like my fasting blood sugar? Help wanted. page 4

JimN is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by dkd2001 View Post
    Wow -- really interesting. I have been checking my morning glucose on and off for the last couple of months -- and it is often over 100 in the am -- but generally not over 110. It is often lower after eating. I was beginning to think I was just weird, but now I find it is not that abnormal for low carb (I'm almost always under 50 -- even tho I'm eating/drinking more dairy of late -- raw milk and home-made kefir and yogurt -- on a tooth remineralizing program.) I'll be checking out some of the references given above. This is such a great place to find information. I'm also checking out how much exercise -- and what type and duration -- helps.
    The fat, carb and protein amounts I am using for my goal is based on Mark's book The Primal Blueprint. Specifically Chapter 3, page 91 and Chapter 8 page 228-229. According to the book, 50-100g of carbs a day is the "Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss". I have found that to be true for the most part. I started eating primal on November 20, 2011 weighing 233 lbs. As of this morning, I weighed 221 lbs and have been as low as 217 lbs. I have not been watching my carb intake very well for the last week, too many almonds and sunflower seeds (they have more carbs than you would think) and have been eating a lot of ham (too much salt?) - so the end result is I have gained a little back. But my blood sugars have been good so I just need to get back on track for watching how much I am eating. The majority of carbs I get are from vegies and nuts with a few from milk.

As far as exercise, what has worked the best for me in the past is walking at a fast pace for 30+ minutes. It is easy on the joints and as I got into better shape I could get farther and farther in that 30 minutes. I hope this helps.

JimN is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    I'm also type 1. If I eat past about 6:30 or so, my fasting bg is high. If I eat a small dinner with limited protein and no carb, my blood sugar in the AM is great (for a type 1, so 90-110 fasting is typically my safe goal). If it's high, I tend to IF til lunch.
    I have started routinely IF until about 1145am. My morning blood sugar is usually between 105 to 115, so not terrible but not great (better than the mid to high 120 I had when starting this thread). I do have 2 cups of bullet proof coffee. I get up at 4:30am, check my BS and check BS again at about 7am. By 7 it is usually 105 of less and by the time I eat at 1145 it is usually 98 or less. I have also started making Fridays - "Fasting Fridays". Not a true fast since I do eat dinner, but other than coffee and water nothing to eat from Thursday dinner to Friday dinner. I am able to maintain BS from 85-95 all day no matter what my activity level. It is great that I am no longer NEEDING to eat every few hours to keep from getting low blood sugar and feeling like I am starving.

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimN View Post
    The fat, carb and protein amounts I am using for my goal is based on Mark's book The Primal Blueprint. Specifically Chapter 3, page 91 and Chapter 8 page 228-229. According to the book, 50-100g of carbs a day is the "Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss". I have found that to be true for the most part. I started eating primal on November 20, 2011 weighing 233 lbs. As of this morning, I weighed 221 lbs and have been as low as 217 lbs. I have not been watching my carb intake very well for the last week, too many almonds and sunflower seeds (they have more carbs than you would think) and have been eating a lot of ham (too much salt?) - so the end result is I have gained a little back. But my blood sugars have been good so I just need to get back on track for watching how much I am eating. The majority of carbs I get are from vegies and nuts with a few from milk.

As far as exercise, what has worked the best for me in the past is walking at a fast pace for 30+ minutes. It is easy on the joints and as I got into better shape I could get farther and farther in that 30 minutes. I hope this helps.
    I checked out the reference on blood glucose -- it has great information. It also details a method of testing yourself for diabetes -- all you need is you glucose meter. I'll be trying that in the next week or so. Plus, for me, walking is one of the best excercises -- tho I do a HIIT 1-2 times per week plus a little LHT. I must admit, I've been pretty lazy for the last month -- winter blahs maybe???
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

JimN is offline Member
    Been I while since I posted, so if anyone is still keeping track of this thread, I thought I would give a brief update.

With the exception of yesterday morning, the last 4 days have shown fasting blood sugars of 96 to 105. Wednesday threw the numbers off because I broke down and had a bacon, lettuce, tomato, and avocado sandwich on homemade bread. Bread has always been my down fall, I LOVE it, and this sandwich was very good. That day, 3.5 hrs after eating, my blood sugar was 122. The next morning it was 115 and was slightly elevated for about half the day. I THINK the key to the good sugars in the morning has been a snack of mostly protein around 8pm. I was having a mix of almonds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds but I think the carbs in those nuts were effecting my morning sugars. This morning my sugars at 6:50 am are 148 (OUCH). Last night around 8:30 I had a protein shake made with milk and vanilla protein powder and the nut mixture listed above - oh, also had about 6oz of whiskey (bottle almost empty - I was just trying to help clean up the cupboard - honest!). I am hoping the sandwich the day before and my splurge last night is the cause and the sugars will go down as I hope back onto the wagon.

Also, I am going in for my fasting blood tests this morning and will make an appointment to go over the results with my Dr. next week. I will go for a walk to get my ffasting sugars down prior to my blood test this morning, so I am hoping the results are much better than last time. I asked Dr.about the VAP cholesterol test and he ordered it with my labs. BTW it will cost an additional $45 in case you were wondering. I will post the results when I get them next week.
    Last edited by JimN; 02-03-2012 at 07:00 AM.

JimN is offline Member
    Sorry it took so long to report my blood work. Life got in the way. Bottom line is my Dr. told me that if he did not know my history he would not think I was diabetic. So here are my results...

Jan 2011
    A1C 6.2
    Fasting ?
    HDL 30
    LDL 83
    Total 132
    Triglycerides 98

Sept 2011
    A1C 6.4
    Fasting 148

Feb 2012
    A1C 5.6
    Fasting 116
    HDL 34
    LDL 84
    Total 159
    Triglycerides 92
    VAP Large Buoyant LDL

Note: I did not have the cholesterol test done in Sept and can't remember fasting BS in Jan 2011. My Dr. wants to check my blood work in 3 months to see if things continue to improve.
    Last edited by JimN; 02-25-2012 at 06:02 PM.

justaseeker is offline Senior Member
    Sorry it took so long to report my blood work. Life got in the way. Bottom line is my Dr. told me that if he did not know my history he would not think I was diabetic. So here are my results...

Feb 2012
    A1C 5.6
    Fasting 116
    HDL 34
    LDL 84
    Total 159
    Triglycerides 92
    VAP Large Buoyant LDL

Note: I did not have the cholesterol test done in Sept and can't remember fasting BS in Jan 2011. My Dr. wants to check my blood work in 3 months to see if things continue to improve.
    Congratulations, Jim! Your blood work certainly looks healthy. Btw, I am not a diabetic nor been diagnosed as pre diabetic - although IMO my glucose metabolism pre-primal was getting suspect. Yet, my process has been quite similar to yours and to others here who are/were diabetic. My lipids were worse than my glucose. But, my blood pressure was excellent - so my doctor was working with my focus on lifestyle changes and I was/am not on any meds. I haven't yet had my 3 month blood work since going primal, but I have been monitoring glucose at home - and getting a real education in the process.

I have the "dawn effect". My fasting BS tended to be around 115 in the beginning. Ranges from that high to a low around 85. I stay below 50 grams of carbs, do IF - no breakfast and wait until glucose is below 100 to eat the first meal of the day, and eat very little fruit - most days none. I have no spikes or drops and my post-prandial BS is often lower than my pre-prandial BS within an hour - which I am thinking may be the only difference between what happens metabolically with someone like me and someone who is already diabetic before starting primal.

Over time I am noticing a shift downwards in my morning BS and my overall "average" daily BS. Many mornings now I have a fasting BS below 100. My feeling is that if I stay the course and continue to improve the exercise part of the lifestyle and lose more weight that eventually I will be able to maintain healthy blood work in a higher carb category. I feel that the fast improvement that people like you and like me get with primal is wonderful - and quite motivating. But, the real value is the longterm benefits.

Last but not least, I discovered this thread when looking at the general topic of requests to Mark for blog topics. I think that the topic of what happens to people's blood sugar metabolism when they first switch from carb to fat burning metabolism would be helpful to everyone, whether normal, pre-diabetic, or diabetic.
    Last edited by justaseeker; 03-06-2012 at 06:26 PM.

JimN is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rrustad View Post
    ..... I feel that the fast improvement that people like you and like me get with primal is wonderful - and quite motivating. But, the real value is the longterm benefits.

Last but not least, I discovered this thread when looking at the general topic of requests to Mark for blog topics. I think that the topic of what happens to people's blood sugar metabolism when they first switch from carb to fat burning metabolism would be helpful to everyone, whether normal, pre-diabetic, or diabetic.
    I believe you have made the most important point that can be made...I woke up the other morning with a fasting blood sugar of 86. I had worked out hard the night before and the following day my high BS was 105. By eating right, exercise and enjoying the way I feel (joints don't hurt, lots of energy, stable blood sugar, etc), I am motivated every day to keep this up. Every once in a rare while now, I will eat a baked good that my daughter makes or have some potaotes or something and my tolerance to the carbs is getting better and better. I still need to limit them so I don't regress, but I can enjoy a small piece of birthday cake (3 birthdays in February) and go out for dinner with the family. My Doctor said he has some other patients that are eating like this and they have reported the same type of benifits. Thank you for the post and good luck.

justaseeker is offline Senior Member
    I believe you have made the most important point that can be made...I woke up the other morning with a fasting blood sugar of 86. I had worked out hard the night before and the following day my high BS was 105. By eating right, exercise and enjoying the way I feel (joints don't hurt, lots of energy, stable blood sugar, etc), I am motivated every day to keep this up. Every once in a rare while now, I will eat a baked good that my daughter makes or have some potaotes or something and my tolerance to the carbs is getting better and better. I still need to limit them so I don't regress, but I can enjoy a small piece of birthday cake (3 birthdays in February) and go out for dinner with the family. My Doctor said he has some other patients that are eating like this and they have reported the same type of benifits. Thank you for the post and good luck.
    Hi Jim,

You're welcome, and thank you, too. Do you have a journal? I'd subscribe to it if you did.
    I feel like I ought to be wearing a bumper sticker that says: "Don't follow me I am lost." I am just a seeker like everyone else.

Justaseeker's Journal:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post778214

Iodine Research and Application Group:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/group134.html

doublehelix is offline Member
    As a diabetic, I eat some fruit, not daily. I avoid bananas and other really high sugar fruits, and stick to berries, etc.
    The focus is not to spike my blood sugar. My AIC was 5.8.
    I found that diabetic counselors and such really were not my best ally. When I followed a diet from one of them years ago, my blood sugar was higher than ever. I never went over 200, and eating the way they suggested did it. They insisted I eat more carbohydrates "You NEED carbohydrates" and I got really sick. Then I was told I could "take more medicine". I was really angry and went off that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234