Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Advice for a Low Meat Eater page

caeliumspecto is offline Junior Member

Food Advice for a Low Meat Eater

Primal Fuel
    Okay, so I think going primal is pretty interesting. I am hypoglycemic (my blood sugar frequently drops, but does not spike), lactose intolerant, and very slightly bipolar, so the primal diet seems to work well with my body. The idea of stabilizing my blood sugar and hormones sounds great.

However, I am in college and cannot afford ethically/sustainably/naturally produced meat. I don't mind eating small portions of meat a few times a week, but I really don't want to eat meat in large quantities because it wastes natural resources. I need a good alternative source of protein. So far, I've been loading up on nuts and eggs.

Are there any other suggestions? Is quinoa okay? Beans in moderation? Lentils?

I'm just starting out, so I hope someone can give me advice on this.

*EDIT*
    Also, greek yogurt doesn't seem to bother me since the cultures break down the lactose.

dado Guest
    i give you advice to eat more meat

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    You need to decide if you want to save a cow or regain your health.

I personally picked my health over the cows well being.

ChefGrok is offline Senior Member
    If you are aware of the PB, then you should know you should be eating meats and their fats accordingly. Eat Fat. Period. It will save your life, and when your wafish friends ask you how you became so ripped, you can say... "bacon fat". They will admire (hate) you.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I suggest canned sardines in water. They go for about $1.29 in the stores near me, and if you're not crazy about the taste, you can mix them in with whatever else you're eating (like your quinoa, which isn't PB/Paleo, but in my opinion is a good non-glutenous grain choice) or soup or chili.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Seafood. Mealworms. Insects
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Canned salmon is pretty cheap. Also, if you stick to very cheap cuts of meat you can eat ethically raised meat. Chicken backs or legs can be cheap, ground beef, pork shoulder. I pretty much live on the cheap cuts of meat.

While I was in grad school I got a part time job one day per week so I could buy humanely raised meats. Any chance you could manage something like that?

Tealia is offline Senior Member
    Whey protein. I am a university student, and without my giant tub of whey from costco, I would be hard pressed to get in enough protein.
    There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    However, I am in college and cannot afford ethically/sustainably/naturally produced meat.
    Please, don't worry yourself about that. Just do the best you can. No one can blame you for caring about your health. One day, when you can afford to, then by all means, buy better meat.

I don't mind eating small portions of meat a few times a week, but I really don't want to eat meat in large quantities because it wastes natural resources.
    Would you kill yourself to save resources? Ok, then don't reply to this post, go kill yourself. I'll eat extra meat to compensate for the resources you've opened :-)
    You wouldn't? Then your reasoning for avoiding meat is void.

I need a good alternative source of protein. So far, I've been loading up on nuts and eggs.
    Nuts and eggs does NOT equal meat.
    Oh, and nuts are very expensive, so a little birdie tells me you can afford meat just fine. Don't lie. ;-) I'm being mean for your own good. Admit it. It's called brutal honestly, and it looks like you need some of it :-P

Are there any other suggestions? Is quinoa okay? Beans in moderation? Lentils?
    If you are a super-poor college student (which you are NOT, if you can afford nuts!), then you could eat rice and legumes. But this does not mean it's as healthy for your body as eating meat is! It's completely different!

Also, greek yogurt doesn't seem to bother me since the cultures break down the lactose.
    Oh aren't you just Fancy Mc Fancy pants! If you can afford yogurt (very expensive) then surely you can afford meat, atleast commercially raised meat.

Nuts are a drain on the environment. Eggs are a drain on the environment. Milk is a drain on the environment. Rice is a drain on the environment. Legumes are a drain on the environment.

Get it?
    Pick the best for your health, as best as you can afford.
    No less, no more.
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 12-09-2011 at 11:50 PM.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast