Thread: How To Improve Your Pull Up/Chin Up Reps TODAY! page

TimBell is offline Senior Member

How To Improve Your Pull Up/Chin Up Reps TODAY!

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys I just wrote a new blog with a video post all about how to increase the amount of pull ups you're able to perform. Check it out and let me know what you think!

Jungle Fit - How Fitness Was Meant To Be!: How To Increase Your Pull Up Numbers Today!!
    Fitness Is A Journey, Not A Destination.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimBell View Post
    Hey guys I just wrote a new blog with a video post all about how to increase the amount of pull ups you're able to perform. Check it out and let me know what you think!

Jungle Fit - How Fitness Was Meant To Be!: How To Increase Your Pull Up Numbers Today!!
    great post and very informative
    Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Paleobird Guest
    Any advice for those of us still trying to get to out first pull-up?

See the "Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011" thread. Any advice would be appreciated.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Any advice for those of us still trying to get to out first pull-up?

See the "Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011" thread. Any advice would be appreciated.
    I think Al Kavadlo has some posts that cover that topic. Here are some suggestions.

Try doing negatives: use a chair/bench/jump to get to the top position, then hold it and lower yourself under control. Jump back up and repeat.

Try inverted rows: set a bar a few feet off the ground (one of the few times a smith cage is actually useful) and pull your chest to the bar. See the nift animated GIF here!: Inverted Row

Use resistance bands to give yourself extra lift.

Most of all, be persistent and consistent. Don't give up if a certain appraoch isn't yeilding lightning-fast results. It may take weeks or months, but you can do it!

TimBell is offline Senior Member
    As for those trying to get your first pull up, master body weight rows, decline rows and then you can move onto chins. You need to get your pulling strength up to snuff! Then once you've got those down try out, jumping pull ups/chin ups, negatives, or you could use resistance bands to help you out! Just use a band with less resistance as you become stronger. Check it out! Simple Assisted Pull Ups!! - YouTube
    Fitness Is A Journey, Not A Destination.

tplank is offline Senior Member
    I have followed Al's advice of using Australian pull-ups and negatives and I am seeing steady progress. I think the Australians are very good when first starting out because anyone who has some level of minimal fitness can crank a few of those.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TimBell View Post
    As for those trying to get your first pull up, master body weight rows, decline rows and then you can move onto chins. You need to get your pulling strength up to snuff! Then once you've got those down try out, jumping pull ups/chin ups, negatives, or you could use resistance bands to help you out! Just use a band with less resistance as you become stronger. Check it out! Simple Assisted Pull Ups!! - YouTube
    Yes. Since starting that thread almost a year ago, I have made some good progress with the Woody Bands in the same way you showed in your video. I'm down to the narrowest one now but can't seem to get past that yet.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yes. Since starting that thread almost a year ago, I have made some good progress with the Woody Bands in the same way you showed in your video. I'm down to the narrowest one now but can't seem to get past that yet.
    at this point it has to come down to raw balls heart

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    at this point it has to come down to raw balls heart
    This may be my new mantra.