Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best eggs? page

cateydid is offline Junior Member

Question Best eggs?

Primal Fuel
    What are the best (healthiest, least affected by bad farming practices) eggs I can get? Is there a certain term I should look for?

This question comes from my glancing at my carton in the fridge this morning and reading that the hens were fed a "vegetarian, whole grain diet rich in corn and soy protein." That made me question...

Yvonne PHX Guest
    You're best bet is a local farm where you know the chickens are out on the pasture eating all kinds of bugs and other stuff they are meant to eat. I don't have that, so I eat eggs that say "Cage-free, organic, Omega 3" on the carton. They don't mention being vegetarian fed. I suspect this is because cage-free chickens eat bugs.

awm8604 is offline Member
    Pastured from a local farm.

bluepelican is offline Member
    If getting eggs from a local farm isn't an option, look for Vital Farms eggs at Whole Foods. The only issue is that they are very expensive, either $6 or $7 for a dozen, which is why I usually only buy them when they're on sale.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by awm8604 View Post
    yep. I get the best eggs from my chickens. they mostly eat bugs and kitchen scraps, though now that it's winter they are on supplemental feed and we dont' get a ton of eggs like we do in warmer months.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by awm8604 View Post
    +1.

Free-range and cage-free sometimes mean that they're all packed into a shed. Pastured is a good term to look for, but I think sometimes that means that there's a tiny door in the shed that goes out into a little yard. Better than nothing, but it helps to buy from a local place that lets you come take a look and who will answer questions for you. Whole Foods will often label their local foods, otherwise you might have to track down a year-round indoor farmer's market or food co-op.

Also, you're right to be skeptical of the "vegetarian" claim -- chickens should not be eating soy, and yes they should be eating non-vegetarian bugs.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    This is where networkingg comes in. In my office there are 250 people working. I was able to find several who raise chickens that run loose in the sunshine chasing bugs all day and I pay 3.50 a dozen. I don't mind because it helps support there chicken hobbies, and they give me the highest quality brightest yolked eggs.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

middlepath is offline Member
    One of the local farms I buy from does pasture the chickens but also supplements with soy-based feed. It can be a challenge it get everything right when it comes to eggs, or, at least that has been my experience.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    yep. I get the best eggs from my chickens. they mostly eat bugs and kitchen scraps, though now that it's winter they are on supplemental feed and we dont' get a ton of eggs like we do in warmer months.
    What sort of feed is supplemental? Even the farmers' market eggs are supplemental feed in winter. Is it soy or corn or something else?
    I wonder if you could trap bugs in summer and freeze them for feed in the winter...hmmm sounds like a business opportunity...

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanccfshr View Post
    This is where networkingg comes in. In my office there are 250 people working. I was able to find several who raise chickens that run loose in the sunshine chasing bugs all day and I pay 3.50 a dozen. I don't mind because it helps support there chicken hobbies, and they give me the highest quality brightest yolked eggs.
    This is a good strategy. A guy at my work has chickens. I trade him passion fruits for eggs. My boyfriend has a co-worker who has chickens. He trades avocados for eggs.

I second the motion for Vital farms eggs. They're better than most. The best ones I've found were from Dare 2 Dreams farms. They're local to the Santa Barbara -> Los Angeles area.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast