Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The paleo diet, by Loren cordain page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

The paleo diet, by Loren cordain

Shop Now
    So, I thought I was being healthy, increasing my (good) fat consumption, lowering my (processed) carb. I've been adding in a little extra salt here and there to remineralize (I have low blood pressure), cooking in lard and butter, eating bacon occasionally, restricting fruit and dairy, but still eating a little cheese and a few nuts.

All good, I thought, until I read 'The Paleo Diet' which basically says that ALL of that is wrong?!!!

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

High fat - low carb is not paleo he says. It causes untold damage to the body.

Paleo people never ate salt.

Lean protein, NOT fatty meats made up the paleo diet.

Especially no bacon, sausage and other processed meats. (OK, I agree with that one).

meat, eggs, seafood are all acidic, and cause osteoporosis

HIGH levels of vegetables and FRUIT should be consumed, not high levels of fat.

Wah! So now I'm confused!

Anyone else read this book and found it at odds with other stuff you've read?

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Cordain has changed his stance on some issues since writing that book. Personally, I only made it half way through it...snoozefest and outdated. I felt like it was written as a rebuttal or to prevent comparison to Atkins. It's my understanding that he's writing a new book that will clarify his position on things like saturated fat.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

robbjolley is offline Junior Member
    I does appear he has changed his stance. If you look at his website www.thepaleodiet.com, it's covered with pictures of beautiful meat and seafood.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Here's what I find interesting about Cordain's research:

For worldwide hunter-gatherers, the most plausible (values not exceeding the mean MRUS) percentages of total energy from the macronutrients would be 1935% for protein, 2240% for carbohydrate, and 2858% for fat. (Link)
    A paleo diet could be as high as 40% carbohydrates. That's 250-300 grams of carbohydrates for the average male, and 200 grams for the average female. Not exactly a low carbohydrates diet, and definitely not a keto-diet.

Pooka is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    Here's what I find interesting about Cordain's research:

A paleo diet could be as high as 40% carbohydrates. That's 250-300 grams of carbohydrates for the average male, and 200 grams for the average female. Not exactly a low carbohydrates diet, and definitely not a keto-diet.
    It makes sense that the human diet has always been varied. Humans have been able to spread all over the planet because our bodies are designed to burn a variety of fuel. I'm coming to the belief that as long as you are consuming clean, non-toxic, nutrient dense fuel, not in excess of caloric needs, you will be healthy. I'm not sure the macro's matter that much for most people.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Good thing the PB isn't paleo, then!
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

primalTatoolover is offline Senior Member
    find what works for you ..eat clean the end. theres no such thing as one paleo diet

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    my boss got a copy of The Paleo Diet for Athletes and the page I flipped to was about how awesome canola oil is and theres no evidence of negative effects on humans ???

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Actually, to me the Paleo diet seems to make way more sense than PB (however I've read the newest version of the Paleo Diet, where Cordain explains that he no longer recommends Canola). Animals in the wild have a pretty low percentage of body fat, and if you were to eat the whole animal, your average fat consumption for the whole animal would be much lower than if you were to constantly eat bacon and cook everything in butter, lard and eat tons of the 'cheaper fatty cuts' of meat that people seem to suggest on this forum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if people are happy with PB and having healthy results from it, way to go. Personally, I think it's PB that's more at odds with most of the research I've been reading and Paleo seems more right on. That being said, I went Paleo to deal with my autoimmune disease, which seems to be doing wonders. Others may have a different experience and I'm not trying to say that either way is right or wrong.

rayout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Actually, to me the Paleo diet seems to make way more sense than PB (however I've read the newest version of the Paleo Diet, where Cordain explains that he no longer recommends Canola). Animals in the wild have a pretty low percentage of body fat, and if you were to eat the whole animal, your average fat consumption for the whole animal would be much lower than if you were to constantly eat bacon and cook everything in butter, lard and eat tons of the 'cheaper fatty cuts' of meat that people seem to suggest on this forum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if people are happy with PB and having healthy results from it, way to go. Personally, I think it's PB that's more at odds with most of the research I've been reading and Paleo seems more right on. That being said, I went Paleo to deal with my autoimmune disease, which seems to be doing wonders. Others may have a different experience and I'm not trying to say that either way is right or wrong.
    The majority of wild game is lean so hunter gatherers preferentially ate the fattiest parts of the meat first (brains, organs, marrow).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast