Thread: Give a warm welcome to ... ME! page

indigorush is offline Junior Member

Give a warm welcome to ... ME!

Hello to you,

Hope you're doing well.
    Yesterday, I picked up Mark's book, The Primal Blueprint (on Kindle).
    So far, I'm only into the first couple of chapters.

Let me, briefly, explain my situation.

I'm 21 and male.
    At the age of 15-16, I was put on a medication called (Ro)Accutane.
    You may have heard of it.
    It's for Acne, though I now know it was invented for cancer and is thus a chemo drug.

That drug screwed me up pretty bad, and I'm still not in the best of shape - Both mentally, and physically. I've even written a book (called Roaccutane - The Truth) which is on Amazon, because it's really been the downfall of my life. I now take a natural approach to my health, and have learnt (the hard way) that drugs are not the answer.

But, anyway, that's happened and here I am.
    I've been spending lots of money on trying to get my health back on track.
    I've been tested for adrenal fatigue, and it's been confirmed that I have it.
    Hence, I feel tired a lot of the time (and getting up in the morning couldn't be much harder).
    I'm unemployed and dramatically need to turn this around.

This is what brought me to this book.
    My digestive system has taken a knock, despite eating what I believe to be a healthy diet (for the most part). I'd like to makes things simple - just like how they should be. I can easily make sacrifices in order to recover and am willing to give this thing all I have.

I guess my questions are:

- Would this diet be a way back for health for me? Bear in mind I have several problems, ranging from sexual dysfunction (at 21!) to dry/red eyes. I have tried many supplements before. I've been trying to recover for the past 5 years, and to my knowledge nobody has found a way out of these horrible side effects.

- I've recently started badminton, because I need to get my body stronger. Bear in mind, I live in the UK. I don't weight a lot. You'd say I'm average-underweight. Do you think I'd be able to do the exercises in primal blueprint?

Hopefully this can help me, because BOY, do I need it! I feel like I've been aged dramatically by Accutane. It's done some real damage, because (like I said) I've not healed since stopping the drug and improving my diet. My social life and everything is suffering because of crazy amounts of anxiety, alongside depression.

Thanks for reading this,

Hope to hear from somebody soon

Stefan
    Last edited by indigorush; 12-09-2011 at 02:06 AM.

CMHFFEMT is offline Member
    First let me say welcome and good luck! I dont know the specifics about your health conditions and primal/paleo but I cant believe that it can do anything but help. Here is cool Ted Talk from a doctor who used paleo to cure MS TEDxIowaCity - Dr. Terry Wahls - Minding Your Mitochondria - YouTube A lot of people around here have had major improvements in many different medical conditions.

Good luck

antihero is offline Junior Member
    Hi Stefan,
    Welcome to the forums. I agree with the above post, the youtube video is inspiring and this eating style won't harm you. I would pay attention to how you're feeling on it, and record any changes etc. Also be aware that you could feel a little flu'ey/headachey at the beginning, but that will pass quickly enough. It took about 4 days for me once I'd stopped eating bread for the headaches to go, so allow yourself a little downtime at the beginning and enjoy yourself giving this a go.
    I'm wishing you all the luck you can stand.

Bell

Thanks for the replies guys.. I'll take a look.
    Honestly, today has been the worst day of my life.
    That sounds a bit ridiculous, but wowza - it's been a bad one!

Anyway, I need to get strong emotionally.
    I'm sick of crying about it.
    I'm also sick of being half the person I should be.
    I'm game for this.
    Here's to hoping it's the answer, or part of the jigsaw.

Much love x

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    If you search on the forums for info on AF, I think you'll come across at least one person who is recovering or has recovered from it. I am in the process of getting tested for it myself. I think you would definitely be able to handle the exercises outlined in The Primal Blueprint. You might also want to take a look at bodyweight exercises, bodyweight workouts to start with. I am an average-underweight 23yr old female who has generally be inactive for most of her life and I find bodyweight exercises to be the easiest way to get started (mostly lack of motivation for me though).

If you don't find your mood issues to be significantly improved with a primal way of eating, I would not rule out a supplement plan like the ones recommended in "The Mood Cure", "The Diet Cure", or "Depression-Free: Naturally". I'm following some of the protocols from those books as a way to manage and hopefully cure my depression and anxiety.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Howdy stranger,

Sorry, what's AF?
    I found a previous post from an ex-accutane user on this site.
    I contacted them and asked about how they were getting on with this diet.
    They've advised it's not suitable for us (accutane side-effected people..).
    She said she's got on better with Vegan.

What are you getting tested for?
    Thanks very much for the advice anyway..

I've read quite a few self-help books, and am currently reading one called 'Self-help for your nerves' which is popular over here in the UK. It was actually written in the early '60s. It seems to focus on panic-attacks a lot though, which I don't suffer from.

I've heard of all the books you mention, and know they're meant to be good, but I have quite a few and notice a lot of similarities in each of the books.
    I probably know what to do really.
    Can I ask what supplements you're taking?

I take quite a few myself, including high doses of Vitamin C (Well, high in terms of the RDA) and Magnesium because stress can deplete these.
    I believe I'd be cured of my depression if I didn't have various health problems (i.e. thinned hair/dry eyes) to worry about.
    However, I need to learn to accept my current situation while I can't change it.

I think once I've got more energy, through improving my adrenal fatigue (with relaxation/supplements i.e. licorice root), I'll be in a much better state and more able to deal with everything.

The mind definitely plays a big part in coping with tough times.
    I may still give this diet a go anyway, because I was looking forward to trying it out.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    If you search on the forums for info on AF, I think you'll come across at least one person who is recovering or has recovered from it. I am in the process of getting tested for it myself. I think you would definitely be able to handle the exercises outlined in The Primal Blueprint. You might also want to take a look at bodyweight exercises, bodyweight workouts to start with. I am an average-underweight 23yr old female who has generally be inactive for most of her life and I find bodyweight exercises to be the easiest way to get started (mostly lack of motivation for me though).

If you don't find your mood issues to be significantly improved with a primal way of eating, I would not rule out a supplement plan like the ones recommended in "The Mood Cure", "The Diet Cure", or "Depression-Free: Naturally". I'm following some of the protocols from those books as a way to manage and hopefully cure my depression and anxiety.

caeliumspecto is offline Junior Member
    Welcome!

Let me just say, the primal blueprint fitness guide is all about working with your body. It's tailored to your fitness level so anyone should be able to do it. I've found it very easy to do, even motivation wise, which has usually been my biggest set back (since I work and go to school and am usually exhausted.)

I hope paleo helps you out. I'm also 21, just beginning, and hoping for my own medical improvements. Let me know if you need any encouragement or support.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I had pretty bad exogenous adrenal failure from years of oral steroids. Eating a primal diet helped immensely. There are a few things I have learned on this forum that were very helpful.

1. Eliminate sugar and caffeine (in addition to the grains, bad oils, etc)
    2. Get your vitamin D level normalized. If you can't get tested then still start supplementing at least a few thousand units a day, but better to get tested.
    3. Get more magnesium - either through a brine or a supplement.
    4. Go to bed early - ideally before 11 pm - in a very dark room. Use f.lux on your computer to reduce blue light to your eyes. Turn off the tv an hour before bed.
    5. Eat offal and bone broth. Liver and bone marrow were the best for me. Homemade chicken broth every week. (If you can, also add kelp, oysters, and brazil nuts to your diet.)

Making these changes and a few others helped me go from total exhaustion and disability to sleeping 8-10 hours per day (still a lot, but down from a high of 17-20 hours a day sleeping). I am not perfect yet, but so much better.

Could you describe more of your symptoms? When I hear dry eyes I of course think of Sjogrens syndrome. It is rare in men, but not impossible.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    AF = adrenal fatigue.

I take 5-HTP to help me sleep (esp to get to bed early). I supplement 8,000 IU VitD (started at 10,000 IU), 100mg L-Theanine in the morning and afternoon for anxiety, 500mg of L-Tyrosine for focus & anxiety, and 25mg of B12 because I don't eat offal or broth and that's the only way you can get a decent dose of it, I think. There's a noticeable difference in my quality of sleep and mood/focus on days that I skip any of these.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the reply you guys.

Jammies - I thought of that syndrome too, but had a bloodtest and was supposedly okay. Dry eyes was a side effect I experience while on the drug, and it never went away. They sting at the moment. I have eye floaters too, which are a real pain in the butt.
    I have low sex drive with decreased sexual pleasure (common in post-accutane people).
    I have hair-loss. It's thinned at the sides. I used to have lovely thick hair. This includes my eyebrows too, which makes me think I've got a thyroid issue. The blood test didn't detect anything, but I'm aware that western medicine isn't brilliant, and have since ditched it.
    I get aches easily, and after exercise my muscles can remain a bit sore for 2-3 days.
    Low energy is a massive problem.
    Brain-fog. Anxiety and depression.
    Body temperature doesn't seem to be very good. Sometimes I can feel cold, and other times be hot and get sweaty feet/legs.
    My immune system doesn't seem very good, and I get colds more than I should.
    I have some digestive issues. Constipated, and even have a haemorrhoid which I'm sure isn't normal for a 21 year old. Fiber never helped, though I believe this diet doesn't follow that trend anyway. Some people take Accutane and have to get their colon removed. Not a nice thought.
    I take magnesium citrate and 5000iu of Vitamin D3, but so far I don't feel better.
    The magnesium is quite a recent addition, but I've taken Vitamin D for a while.
    Not really keen on the bone broth idea.

Namelesswonder:

Oh yeah, of course hehe.
    I take 5-HTP (for depression) but it hasn't helped me.
    I've just added Melatonin as I feel I need some help getting to sleep, especially as I'm trying to go to bed at 10pm.

I spoke to the ex-accutaner on here some more, and she's getting better.
    She was tested for allergies at the start of her treatment and was allergic to everything except for Cherries.
    I definitely have some digestive issues, so I'm probably sensitive/allergic to a lot of food too.
    I have a few things to go on, which is a blessing because recently I heard of two people who took this drug 25 years ago and were still suffering.
    I definitely need to do something in order to get better.
    I aim to get a job very soon, so I can spend money on good food and get some tests done.

I sent some of my hair off for an analysis, but I'm doubting if the test was legit because it told me my gut flora was in balance, and some of the other things don't add up, but I'm not sure.

Next year, I'll definitely be doing all I can to revive from this.
    I feel like the anxiety is related to my unwellness, though this drug is said to damage a part of the brain (hippocampus).

Thanks again for your replies.