Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meals for Grok's poorhouse page

MilwaukeeZack is offline Junior Member

Meals for Grok's poorhouse

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to the whole PB (only at it about a week or so now) and was wondering if anyone had any tips on good nutritious ingredients for breakfasts/salads/dinners/snacks that tend to be pretty cheap at the grocery store. I'm a full time worker, yet a full time student about a year away from my degree and I don't have the largest budget for meals so I try to buy food that doesn't go bad quickly and can last multiple meals.

If anybody has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Look forward to getting involved on this forum regularly as I see a lot of people here are quite serious with and quite pleased with the PB. Like I said, I've only been at it a week but am both amazed that I've had the willpower to stay away from carbs (I've never been known for my willpower, plus one of my jobs is managing a sandwich shop) and amazed that in a week I can feel a noticeable difference in my mind and body health.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Trader Joe's has green and red thai curried tuna in pouches for $1.50. Really good stuff.
    http://westcoastcrafty.wordpress.com...ing-tjs-style/
    Last edited by Adrianag; 12-08-2011 at 08:28 PM.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    the holy trinity of cheap foods around here are canned tuna, eggs & large cheap roasts that can last for many meals

whole chickens are cheap and can last, frozen veggies, in-season fruit and vegetables
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Chochobo is offline Senior Member
    IF is free
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Phoenixflame is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chochobo View Post
    IF is free
    LOL at IF -- that's been me a few times when money's tight. Screw Ramen, I'll just eat my body fat. Much tastier.

Quick question: what do you have access to? Full kitchen? Freezer? Crockpot? I've had a ton of random-ass housing situations and found ways to eat healthfully, even when I wasn't Primal (not too far off the mark, though I didn't know it).

Canned fish is a great cheap item. If you have a full kitchen, offal is great -- it's cheap but soooo nutritious. Stick to in season fruits and veggies and look out for sales on frozen ones. Frozen is perfectly good for you from a nutrition standpoint. Stews can provide a lot of nourishment for cheap and can be frozen for later meals. Oh, and if carbs aren't a big issue for you (I don't know what your body composition is), get some taters! Sweet and white/gold/russet. Cheap and nutritious.

Oh, and if any of your buddies have a Costco/Sam's Club card, plan a field trip! Costco has some great meat deals.

Ahhh k. I'll have to try more frozen veggies. I haven't eaten ramen in quite some time so thats not even close to something that would tempt me.

I have a full kitchen that I share with four room mates so occasionally the fridge doesnt have a whole lot of space but everyone is very accommodating. We've got a crock pot and grill which I hope to use a little more often. As far as potatoes go, the carbs might be a bit much right now as when I started this not too long ago I would consider myself overweight by at least 15-20 pounds and I probably don't get a good enough amount of exercise each day. I've been trying to work it into everyday things that I do so hopefully I can start burning off fat before I get to a point I'd like to maintain.

One more question that might sound silly is what does the term IF mean?

Thanks for the quick answers btw!

Phoenixflame is offline Senior Member
    Ok, I have three roommates so I can relate. So, here would be slightly more specific tips!

- Crockpot the shit out of everything. You can cook delicious things in large quantity with minimal effort. It's great for cheap cuts of meat and offals because it tenderizes them.

- To save space, buy just what you need for the next couple of meals, plus a few odds and ends (like tuna and frozen veggies) for a pinch. It also gets you to the store more often and thus moving around more.

- Read your grocery store weeklies for sales. In season is always cheaper. Buy manager's special meat (as long as it looks ok) and freeze it or make it that day.

- Eh, some people can lose perfectly fine without restricting too many carbs. Primal naturally restricts carbs by cutting out grains and legumes. Some people see accelerated results with lower carbs but honestly, I lost 60 pounds eating around 100-150 grams every day. I wasn't Primal then but I ate very few grains so most carby carbs came from dairy, fruit, and b-nut squash. If eating more primal carbs keeps you eating primal as opposed to going "off the wagon" and you still see weight loss, have at it. But some people do seem to drop weight like crazy by dropping into 50ish carbs. I cycled mine so personally I think it kept me from adapting to a lower calorie intake and therefore consistently lost weight. It just depends on the person. Eating in a deficit and getting rid of inflammation is what ultimately causes the weight loss. Walking is a gentle, very healthy way to get more burn into your day, and it'll make you feel awesome.

- Heh, IF is short for Intermittent Fasting. Lots of threads on it; it's popular 'round these parts because all the meat and fat keeps us pretty full, and there's solid science behind it. But since you're just getting used to Primal, hold off on that for a few weeks or months. Don't want you getting overwhelmed and running off in a tizzy. If you are curious about it, I suggest Martin Berkhan's website, Lean Gains, or other threads on this forum.

PrimalClay is offline Senior Member
    Wait until you get that degree and then are making the kind of money you pictured yourself driving a corvette and living an awesome life on but a stay at home wife and 3 kids later your still on a tight food budget like you were back in college :-)
    Went Primal January 24, 2011
    Lost 105 pounds in 5 months
    Currently 130 fat pounds down which is 120 pounds on the scale while putting on 10 pounds of muscle
    According to my kids I am looking more and more like the Hulk every day

I'm finding that Bulletproof Coffee - I make mine w/ heavy cream & butter (as MCT/Coconut oil goes right thru me lol) - is really helping me stay satiated until well past noon. It's helped get me through those horrid sugar cravings too. Just splurge a bit on the Kerrygold - it's cheapest at Trader Joe's ($2.49 as opposed to $5 in the regular grocery store!)

Thanks Phoenixflame, I've really only ever used the crock pot a couple of times, but one thing PB has gotten me to do so far is learning to cook new things. I used to be satisfied with cooking a buncha crap (usually with noodles or rice) and tossing it in a tupperware for weeks but the meals I've made so far with pork loins, flank steak, meatballs have so far been extremely satisfying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast