Thread: Question for cooks page

Lindy2961 is offline Junior Member

Question for cooks

Hi,

I have been lurking for a while but this is my first post and question.

I am hosting a little get together for Christmas and tonight I came across a recipe for Rosemary Gin Fizz which sounds wonderful but calls for a simple syrup made with 1/2 a cup of sugar.

Has anyone figured out how to create a simple syrup for drinks the primal way?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Lindy

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Yes, plain and on the rocks...:-)

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Many people who eat primal/paleo seem to use coconut sugar a lot, but using fruit juice based drinks helps, because there's no need - it's already sweet!

spughy is offline Senior Member
    You can't make a simple syrup with anything other than sugar. You could try dilute honey, but it would have a distinct flavour.

You could use sparkling apple juice in place of fizzy water and simple syrup, but there's not a huge difference there metabolically. Either do straight gin (which is nice) or have a binge night and just do the sugar and do it properly. That drink sounds yummy - post the recipe?

Vanessa120 is offline Senior Member
    I would use a combination of stevia and either xylitol or erythritol. If you have questions about the use of these two sugar alcohols, read Mark's post Sugar Alcohols: Everything You Need to Know.

Lindy2961 is offline Junior Member
    I read this on the 101 Cookbooks Blog. It's not my own work and the author states very clearly that it was 'adapted from Food & Wine, December 2002'. I copied and pasted so this is the whole thing as I initially read it. Enjoy!

Rosemary Gin Fizz

Adapted from Food & Wine, December 2002

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup gin (I recommend either Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray to highlight the woodsy features of the gin. I don’t recommend Hendricks, which is my favorite gin, as it’s flavored with cucumbers and rose petals and will thus change the tasting notes of the drink.)
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon Rosemary Syrup (see below)
    Ice cubes
    Cold club soda
    1 rosemary sprig and fresh red currants, for garnish

Preparation:

1. In a tall glass, stir the gin, lemon juice and Rosemary Syrup.

2. Fill the glass halfway with ice; top with club soda. Garnish with the rosemary and currants and serve.

Rosemary Syrup:

Ingredients:
    2 cups water
    1/2 cup sugar
    4 rosemary sprigs, rinsed

Preparation:

Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer over moderately low heat for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let steep for 10 minutes. Strain the syrup and chill. (The syrup can be prepared and chilled for up to 1 week.)

Notes:
    To get the most juice out of your lemons, microwave the whole fruit at high power for about 20 seconds, then roll it on the counter while pressing firmly before cutting and squeezing.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I saw that recipe on the same blog and have been dying to try it ever since I love gin.
    To primalize it, I would infuse plain water with rosemary. Then just add a bit of that + some sweetener/splenda/honey/maple syrup to the cocktail to sweeten it.