Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agave? page

janthony Guest

Primal Fuel

Hello,

Newbie first post. I found I really enjoy Agave as a sweetener. Is this allowed on the Primal diet?

Chunster495 is offline Member

Not really. It's okay as a sensible vice once in a blue moon, but it's not considered a primal food. It has a high fructose content and there's a lot of debate on how it is processed/made and which brands are better...etc. My wife uses the Madhava brand once in a while when she bakes her grain free treats...

janthony Guest

Are there any sweeteners that are allowed/tolerated for my tea in the morning?

kilton is offline Junior Member

There are countless millions of people across the world who drink their tea unsweetened. Join us. :-)

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Personally, I'd rather use a pinch of real sugar than risk the chemical nasties - there are various reasons to avoid them, e.g. the fact that your body "expects" some sugar after tasting the sweetness, so releases insulin regardless...so you end up craving more sweet stuff.

Alternatively I know of a few people here using stevia.

You may also find your tastes change eventually

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

I use stevia in my tea. About 1/2 pkt works for me. Then, HEAVY CREAM!!! LOL.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

buffalo is offline Junior Member

Yeah, agave is worse than table sugar, as it has a higher percentage of sugars as fructose. This doesn't stop Whole Foods from having large displays at the ends of the aisles with "natural" sugars like agave, honey and maple syrup. Sure some of the refined sugars may include a few more trace nutrients than other refined sugars, but a refined sugar is still a refined sugar.

Going primal and then having sugar in your tea every day is like kicking smoking and then having just one cigarette a day. Sure, you've broken away from the pack-a-day habit, but that last cigarette is going to keep the cravings and addiction fresh in your mind.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

When I need sweet, I have 2 options. I use liquid stevia for beverages. If I'm baking or doing deserts I usually use erythritol (Z-sweet brand.) It's a little cheat, but it's a zero-calorie cheat, so I'm ok with it once in a while.

I agree with what buffalo said though, about quitting sugar but still hanging on with alternatives. I would suggest going sugar-free for a few weeks (or even a month) first. Then when you've gotten used to not having it, just a little goes a long way. Even fruit tastes sweeter at that point.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

+1 on the stevia recommendation. However, I've found that the less sugar/sweeteners I consume, the sweeter things start to taste naturally (thus negating the need for sweetener in my tea/coffee, for example).

In fact, a little while ago, I was at my mom's house and she made me a cup of plain, unsweetened tea. When I took the first sip, it seemed ridiculously sweet, so much that I even asked my mom "did you put honey in this?"

She hadn't added any sort of sweeteners at all.

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

wendyland is offline Senior Member

I sometimes take my tea plain. Sometimes add sugar. Sometimes add stevia. I also like a little melted coconut oil in it. I'd like to try adding coconut cream or coconut milk to my tea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast